• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ceramic coated headers

piantm

Reaction score
Just finishing the final touches on a stroker build of my 340. I've got brand new cermaic coated TTI headers. The installation instructions mentioned not to run the headers on a new rebuild for first 500miles. Anyone know what this is about? What will happen if I do run the headers on a fresh rebuild?

moparleo

Reaction score
The reason they say that is if you don't have your fuel, timing adjusted properly, it could run lean and damage the coating due to overheating them. Also a fresh engine will generate a lot of frictional heat during brake in of cam and piston rings. Now if our engine was broke in and tuned on a dyno before install, you can disregard the warning. Better safe that sorry damaging the coating on your $700. plus headers. Just install the stock manifolds until you get her running smooth, than install your headers and enjoy.

Bill

Reaction score
A friend of mine said that he had a rebuilt motor that he did not have tuned up when he first started it and he said the headers got cherry red hot.

piantm

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. How long to you do suggest I run the stock manifolds? Initial startup and tune, or xx miles? I don't have any exhaust now, so if I've got to run something else for a while, I'll have to deal with two different exhaust systems.

moparleo

Reaction score
Did you buy a complete TTI exhaust system ? If so, you only need to run pipes from the manifolds to the exhaust behind the collectors. This should be fairly cheap. It is only the headers that we are concerned with.

piantm

Reaction score
No exhaust purchased yet. Was thinking about the TTI system vs custom fab'd. Does the TTI system bolt up well. Any mods need to made?

moparleo

Reaction score
I purchased a complete kit, heads to rear bumpers and it was a simple bolt in. Unless you have modified your suspension, They are exact fit. They have the reputation of being the highest quality, best fitting exhaust available for any Mopar.

piantm

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked TTI's website, they've got the head pipes for the factory manifolds available. So my swap from factory exh over to the headers can be a bolt up. New question, H pipe or X pipe?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you do what I do as soon as the engine fires up start tuning , once you have it up to 2000 rpm to break in the cam you can advance the timing until it start to pop out of the exhaust & back it off a little so it advanced enough then immediatly start tweaking the mixture screw to make sure it is not running lean , this way you won't hurt the headers
make sure you use a high Zinc oil for the break in if you have a flat tappet cam .

Back