• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Correct thermostat

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
I've always thought the correct thermostat for my 70 340 challenger was a 180. I live in fl and the car starts to run hot if I'm not moving. I'm thinking it's my radiator since it is quite old but could a 160 make any difference. I've run it without but then it never really gets up to correct temp. Any thoughts?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes you need a thermostat , 180 or 195 is good , 160 is too cold .
Heating when not moving is not enough air flow through the rad so what fan are you using , do you have a shroud , clutch fans work best 5 - 7 blade with a shroud is ideal .

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
Yes you need a thermostat , 180 or 195 is good , 160 is too cold .
Heating when not moving is not enough air flow through the rad so what fan are you using , do you have a shroud , clutch fans work best 5 - 7 blade with a shroud is ideal .
Hi, I'm using the original clutch fan yes there is a shroud and it's a 5 blade. Original setup that came with the car. Maybe the pores in the rad are not as open as they should be.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
If I had a "quite old" rad I'd have a rad shop do a flush and refill with new 50/50 antifreeze. Sound maintenance and elimates one element of the symptoms.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The clutch could also be weak , when it is hot it should be hard to turn the fan but loose when cold .

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
The clutch could also be weak , when it is hot it should be hard to turn the fan but loose when cold .
Ok don't want this to be a dumb question but how hard should it be to turn when hot. Also are they pretty much all the same. Prices are all over the place. My A66 came with the 26 in rad

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
If I had a "quite old" rad I'd have a rad shop do a flush and refill with new 50/50 antifreeze. Sound maintenance and elimates one element of the symptoms.
Yes get what your saying, when you look in the rad the pores all look very good and open.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well if it spins easily when cold & is not much tighter when hot it is not working
I think Rock auto had then for around $50-60

Back