• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

dash install

Tom

Reaction score
I, am about to install the dash in my 71 cuda, it is a non ac car.When I bought the car the dash was not in, my question is , does the defrost duct sit between the dash and the firewall or below the firewall lip. My defrost duct sits about 1/2 inch above the heater box outlet, should it be tight against the heater box. My thinking is that it should fit tight against the heater box, any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

4404spd

Reaction score
The defroster duct bolts
to the inside of the firewall.

steve817

Reaction score
It seems like an unusual "gap" in the duct work, as Avalanche pointed out. It was mentioned, a while back, that the gap is there to always allow cabin air to be sucked into the defrost duct work. The reason: On those very cold days when the windshield is freezing and a person selects "defrost" and "max heat", it does Not crack the windshield due to the significant temperature changes. The cold/cool cabin air will mix in with the max heat to defrost or melt the ice/snow over a longer period of time. Steve

72chally440

Reaction score
Heater Box and Defrost vents from above.jpgDefrost vents and heater box.jpg

Here are pics of my recently removed box. and defrost vents. I don't know if there is any difference between 71 Cuda and 72 Challenger. I think the gap they speak of is visible in the first pic if you save and zoom.

Defrost vents and heater box.jpg

Heater Box and Defrost vents from above.jpg

Last edited:

steve817

Reaction score
The gap in the pictures is perfect for 70 Cuda and 70 Challenger.

Back