• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

dash wiring burnt

danbrooks

Reaction score
I've asked a few people but still dont know what could have happened to thie wiring in this car.
I bought a 70 cuda 440 automatic and its completely dismantled, as I started puttnig it together I noticed the main dash wiring was burnt badly. It seems to have started from the number 23 location on the wiring block. it completely burnt to bare metal. The wiring coming up through the harness completely melted fusing alot of the wiring that was running right near it it the harness. This wire goes up into the harness and is spliced up there, from there it goes up to a light in the dash and over to what im assuming is the door buzzer on the other side of the dash. It also goes to the wiring that plugs into the column, it doesn't appear to have gotten up into the column or through the connection so im thinking that's ok. I've bought a new year one harness and by the time im done with the car all the wiring will be new but would like to know what caused it, and ideas??? Thanks, Dan.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would really try to find the problem before you put power to the new harness. It may be a faulty part that caused the wiring to melt.

moparleo

Reaction score
A couple of recommendations. 1) Replace the complete wiring including all harnesses 2) while the car is disassembled, now is the time to make sure that everything including the gauge and electrical systems are defect free. Don't assume because you don't see visual damage that there is no problem. There can be breaks in the wiring under the insulation, poor corroded connections and damage inside the column. Disassemble and inspect every thing. Restore each assembly one at a time and when final assembly time comes, you will know that every component has been properly inspected and restored to new condition. There will be no better or easier time than now to make your project not only looking like new but also to function as new. Send out your dash gauges to one of the many restoration companies to test, restore and recalibrate every thing. There may also be modern upgrades to the electronics in the gauges to make them more reliable. It is easier to restore each assembly separately and install as the factory did, one at a time. If you are doing the restoration yourself it also will help to keep you motivated as you can see the progress daily instead of the end of the project. Lost motivation is the killer of most projects

Back