• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger Convertible

Top Banana

Reaction score
Hello, I have just purchased a car and going to lean on the collective here for a few things. 1970 Challenger Convertible
Does not want to start, going to clean up some wiring that needs a little TLC.
Rolls over very slow, tester shows low voltage once battery goes through the harness to the ballast resistor. Anybody go through this already?
Thank
TB

Finoke

Reaction score
A few things to try without spending any money since you say its turning over slow..
Clean the battery posts and lead connectors then tighten well. Make sure battery voltage is over 12.
Use some sandpaper and clean all the connections on the starter relay which is on the drivers side inner fender
Clean the wire connections at the starter
Clean the ground to body and the engine ground

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! I too have a 70 Challenger in Top Banana! Make sure the carburator bowls are full and use a shot or two (not a lot!) or starter fluid. Don't be afraid to "jump start it with a running vehicle" as well (insures you have 12+ volts and lots of amps! Oh, and show us some pics of your ride!!

IMG_20231125_080009421.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. Voltage is lower through the ballast. your fist problem is addressed. How about a picture. Thanks!
welcome to febo - Copy.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
check the condition of the plugs at the firewall bulkhead , it is common to have connection issues there also the connector at the base of the steering column .

Top Banana

Reaction score
Thanks All!! Glad to be aboard, looking at the advice given and going to post picks soon!

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey from another Y1 Challenger vert owner!
Good suggestions already made; I would gently remove the engine harnesses individually from the firewall and examine the condition of the terminals. I recently did mine and cleaned them with electronic cleaner and q tips, then added dilectric grease before reinstalling.
Look for any terminals that look black or burned. If none then great.
Just a precaution and lets you know the condition of your electrical circuits.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Good luck on sorting out your issues. You already have some good suggestions.

Back