• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Disk brakes for 14 in wheels

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
Hello all, glad to be part of the group. I have owned my challenger for about 47 years. Don't want to mention how much I paid for it.lol I'm looking for disk brake conversion for 14 in wheels. Everything I see is for 15in. Any ideas ?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Nice to have you with us! Are your 14 inch rims stock? Converting from front drum to disc? There are conversion kits that will work for stock 14 inch rims. Also, we need to see a pic of your Challenger! 😀

sixpactogo

Reaction score
When I converted my 70 Challenger to front discs, I robbed the Calipers and rotors from a 1980 Dodge Aspen. Worked fine with the 14" wheels but I ended up upgrading to 15" wheels later on.

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Nice to have you with us! Are your 14 inch rims stock? Converting from front drum to disc? There are conversion kits that will work for stock 14 inch rims. Also, we need to see a pic of your Challenger! 😀
The car came with 14 in and I just can't seem to find any for 14 in. Love to put 15 but other things I want to do first.

moparleo

Reaction score
You didn't say what year you have, the spindles changed in 1973 to use a larger inner bearing. But just use 73 and up disc spindles and factory brackets, calipers, master cylinder and possibly proportioning valve. Can be bought as a kit from many suppliers. These were used on E-bodies and always worked with 14" wheels.
15" tires are better option not only because you get getter brake cooling but 14" tires are even more limited than 15" are.

Here is a common link that will give you a lot of conversion info. Some of it is dated but still a good read.
Disc-O-Tech

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
You didn't say what year you have, the spindles changed in 1973 to use a larger inner bearing. But just use 73 and up disc spindles and factory brackets, calipers, master cylinder and possibly proportioning valve. Can be bought as a kit from many suppliers. These were used on E-bodies and always worked with 14" wheels.
15" tires are better option not only because you get getter brake cooling but 14" tires are even more limited than 15" are.

Here is a common link that will give you a lot of conversion info. Some of it is dated but still a good read.
Disc-O-Tech
Thanks for responding I'll check it out. It's 70 car

PlmCzy70

Reaction score

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
Cragar mags but the car came with 14 in
Put up a pic not sure where it went.

moparleo

Reaction score
OK Now besides 14" wheels, you now say Cragar wheels. Big difference.
After market wheels are compromise wheels. Too expensive to make rims brand/model specific so they have there own offsets and multiple bolt patterns.
Factory wheels specifically fit factory brake systems, aftermarket not always.
14" Mopar factory rims will fit all factory E-body brake systems.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here's one of the articles that cover it.

Stop that sled 1.png

Stop that sled 2.png

Stop that sled 3.png

Stop that sled 4.png

Stop that sled 5.png

Stop that sled 6.png

Last edited:

PlmCzy70

Reaction score
OK Now besides 14" wheels, you now say Cragar wheels. Big difference.
After market wheels are compromise wheels. Too expensive to make rims brand/model specific so they have there own offsets and multiple bolt patterns.
Factory wheels specifically fit factory brake systems, aftermarket not always.
14" Mopar factory rims will fit all factory E-body brake systems.
Compromised, interesting choice of words. Lots of cars out there riding on Compromised wheels. Just mentioned cragar as opposed to stock, still 4.5 in bolt pattern. Picked up original wheels years ago, liked the way the cragars looked better. Both fit and works the same.

Back