• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

does pilot bushing fit loose and stick out?

440cuda

Reaction score
I'm converting my auto 440 to 4 speed and the end of my crankshaft is drilled, but when I put the copper pilot bushing in the hole it is loose fitting and sticks out maybe 1/8 or 1/16. I can hold it in with grease while I bolt everything together, but I would think it should be a press fit like a bearing race fitment? am I missing something? Is it possible I was given the wrong pilot bushing?

moper

Reaction score
If the bushing is lose, you may have a bushing for the non-reamed carnk. If it sticks out I'd say you might have a piece of the old one still in the hole... How deep is the hole drilled? An easy fix (and imrpovement IMO) is to use the MP pilot bearing which presses into the crank hub rather than the bushing in the crank bore.

71droptop

Reaction score
I'm converting my auto 440 to 4 speed and the end of my crankshaft is drilled, but when I put the copper pilot bushing in the hole it is loose fitting and sticks out maybe 1/8 or 1/16. I can hold it in with grease while I bolt everything together, but I would think it should be a press fit like a bearing race fitment? am I missing something? Is it possible I was given the wrong pilot bushing?
What year is your 440-forged or cast crank? you can tell by the damper.

Back