• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Door hinge pin keeps creeping out

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Back in the day I replaced my door hinge pins & bushings. Ever since I replaced my steel doors with fiberglass ones, my driverside upper door hinge pin keeps creeping up. One/close the door a few times and its moved up almost a 1/4 inch. Any tips or real fix for this? I'm starting to think about tack welding the pin down since tapping it down all the time is annoying. There should be no way thats its worn out already as I've never really driven the car lots, less then 5000 miles in 20 years.....kinda sad
Thanks guys

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if the pin is long enough just drill a hole in the bottom & install a cross pin

moparleo

Reaction score
Something is not adding up. OK I reread the post and see that you redid your hinges . The upper hinge pin was a press fit. No way to come loose if the hole is not worn ( shouldn't be, they almost never wear on the uppers). The pin would have raised grooves, knurling if you will, that press fit into the pin hole. How about a picture ?

HINGE REBUILD PARTS.jpg

B BODY UPPER HINGE APART.jpg

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Yes fiberglass doors, pin is not long enough to drill/install cross pin. Heres 2 pictures, let me know if somethings "missing" as i did this 20 years ago as a "green" mopar guy....lol

20200830_154627.jpg

20200830_154634.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
You can clearly see that the knurling is missing from under the pin head.
At the least, just need a new pin. It is a standard GM size, available at most any auto parts store. Just cut it to length and tap it in.
If the pin hole is hogged out, the hole would need to be welded and redrilled, but it would be much simpler to get a replacement (used) hinge part.

upper hinge pin.jpg

Last edited:

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
You can clearly see that the knurling is missing from under the pin head.
At the least, just need a new pin. It is a standard GM size, available at most any auto parts store. Just cut it to length and tap it in.
If the pin hole is hogged out, the hole would need to be welded and redrilled, but it would be much simpler to get a replacement (used) hinge part.

View attachment 74883
Yes, now that i look at it your right. Thankyou, I will fix it right

Back