• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Door Panel Dye/Paint

money pit

Reaction score
I have a pair of door panels that were originally black but were dyed/painted blue. I want to paint them black. What do I need to do to prep the surface. I know Classic Industries has a special cleaner and surface prep. I can see using all these steps if the panels were never painted. Can I just spray it with the interior paint or do I need to scuff it and then spray it with the prep? Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Do not paint them, it will fill in the grain and look crappy.

Easy Off oven cleaner, with lye, will lift the paint and not harm the plastic...(test a spot on the back for an hour). This method is commonly used to strip paint off plastic model cars and planes, with no ill effects.

The bare black panels can be colored quite nicely with “Restore Black” made by 3M / Bondo. And it’s cheap!

https://photos.imageevent.com/adamell/wiperparts/large/Door panels 3.JPG

https://photos.imageevent.com/adamell/wiperparts/large/Rear set panels 5.JPG

3M Bondo Restore Black - 8 oz. | 9878075 | Pep Boys

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Adam, checked out your recommendation for 3m Restore Black. Pep Boys has a special on line for $6.20. Basically 1/2.price. :thankyou: for the tip!

money pit

Reaction score
Do not paint them, it will fill in the grain and look crappy.

Easy Off oven cleaner, with lye, will lift the paint and not harm the plastic...(test a spot on the back for an hour). This method is commonly used to strip paint off plastic model cars and planes, with no ill effects.

The bare black panels can be colored quite nicely with “Restore Black” made by 3M / Bondo. And it’s cheap!

https://photos.imageevent.com/adamell/wiperparts/large/Door panels 3.JPG

https://photos.imageevent.com/adamell/wiperparts/large/Rear set panels 5.JPG

3M Bondo Restore Black - 8 oz. | 9878075 | Pep Boys
I checked, one of the panels is blue and the other is actually black. So the blue one was already painted. Thanks for the info.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Apparently 3 M Restore Black has been discontinued by the company.
Pep Boys did a search and only one store in Virginia had any in stock (I'm in NJ)
Other vendors carry the product but most were "not available and out of stock".
I have seen one or two vendors who claim they have the product at full price ($16.99)
Wonder why 3M discontinued the product, looked like it worked well on door panels also?
Dino2 (2).gif

ProSport

Reaction score
I used a degreaser/dewaxer to clean my '70 Challenger door panels, then sprayed them with a rattle can adhesion promotor, then sprayed them with a rattle can SEM 'Trim Black'. I think they look great and still show all the texture.

20190127_111039.jpg

ProSport

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been told that 3 step process will bond the paint to the plastic very well and won't chip or flake off. It was very easy to do since it's all rattle can products.

That 3M restore black looks like a simple great idea also.

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been told that 3 step process will bond the paint to the plastic very well and won't chip or flake off. It was very easy to do since it's all rattle can products.

That 3M restore black looks like a simple great idea also.
Thanks. Your panels look great.

Adam

Reaction score
I used a degreaser/dewaxer to clean my '70 Challenger door panels, then sprayed them with a rattle can adhesion promotor, then sprayed them with a rattle can SEM 'Trim Black'. I think they look great and still show all the texture.

View attachment 56441
It does look nice, but the original post says his are already painted or dyed. I think another coat of paint on top of that would be too much....

Back