• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dumb question on timing

Avalanche

Reaction score
I recently changed the timing on the challenger (440, late model engine with large cam). It was set at 17* initial and all in at 38*. It ran rich and a little rough.
I now set the timing at 13* and all in at 34*. The car runs much better but I am maxed out on the distributer curve.
My problem is now I either have the gas boiling and flooding the carb or heat soak.
The car would start fine with the higher timing.
So does the timing have anything to do with heat soak or boiling over?
I did put in a new mechanical fuel pump from mancini, if that makes a difference.
Old one was mechanical also.

moparleo

Reaction score
You don't give very much detailed info. What does a "large"cam mean ?? What did you actually do to "change the timing" What type of distributor do you have ? Is the vacuum advance hooked up ? What carburetor and intake manifold are you running ? How about a picture of your set up so we don't have to guess as much. Thanks

Avalanche

Reaction score
You don't give very much detailed info. What does a "large"cam mean ?? What did you actually do to "change the timing" What type of distributor do you have ? Is the vacuum advance hooked up ? What carburetor and intake manifold are you running ? How about a picture of your set up so we don't have to guess as much. Thanks

Hughes whiplash cam.
770 holley street avenger carb.
Not sure on the distributer. Proform maybe.
My question is does setting a lower initial timing (going from 17 to 13) cause the gas to boil over and flood the carb?
440 has 180 thermo and runs cool and dosent overheat

moparleo

Reaction score
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Can you take a picture of your carb/intake set up ? Is this a new problem ? For fuel to boil, you need heat. Anything newly replaced or done other than just a timing change. Is the vacuum advance connected. How do you know what the advance curve is if you don't know what distributor you have ? Carb flooding is a function of a stuck or blocked needle and seat or floats set too high. Nothing to do with anything else.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Retarding the timing will increase engine heat . I would also use the FelPro 1215 intake gasket that blocks the heat crossover through the intake , use A carb insulator like Coolcarb to keep the carb cooler . You may find something in the middle will work at around 15* initial timing .

oldkimmer

Reaction score
If u set the timing in the middle u may cure the problem or end up with 2 problems. Lol. Big cams like lots of initial timing. Kim

Back