• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Durango rack and pinion fit a 71 Challenger without a ton of mods?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All I am saying is yes it can be done , but not easily , time / fabrication or a lot of $$
RMS for example replaces the whole K frame goes to front steer using Mustang II parts & coil over shocks , I don't see this as an Upgrade .
Not saying it cannot be done properly but not easily .

70chall440

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.... All here on the site have chimmed in with many, many points to this possible conversion, both goods and bads of why it is an ill advised effort or why it is neet, and I weigh each one carefully. Pushing 80 myself (and I still learn from you as a group each day and this is a challenge. Great schtufff!!!!

So to your inquiry, Yep, a conundrum. Not racing and yet weight reduction???? WTH??? Being in Alabama, heat is an issue. Less weight that BB has to move is better in my head for one.

Two, and I probably should have emphasized this in my early post, Da Bling Factor. All of us here know the guy that has a Elephant gun on the wall that he has never shot. Stands there in his Den with his $250.00 glass of Scotch, Marsh Wheeling cigar in his hand, smoking jacket, admiring that rifle on the wall. Never shot it. Never will!!! And Bling factor will sell an over priced ride in many instances (not that I would over price my ride....). In my head, today, all too many individuls out there buying older muscle cars will overlook the details and only see all that jewelry under the hood, suspension improvements and will justify the price someone is selling the vehicle for. So, if I need to sell my ride, I can ask a good price because its functional and pretty.

Next, it hasn't been done yet as far as I can tell, using Modern Dodge hardware on 60/70 vehicles. I like a challenge (er??:cool:). Can weld. Have leaded, Paint, Computers, Woodworking, HO trains, etc.... I have hobbies and love kludging (safely and hopefully, smartly) something together. R&P came up from a friend that drives a 2017 Challenger... I accepted his gauntlet throw down ( or I am trying too.....)

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I hope I have answered your questions. And please, keep them questions/advice/lesson learned coming. Opening my eyes wider every day with this project!

Oh, the kc4teq login is my Amateur Radio Callsign! Anuuder hobby.....
I completely understand and I appreciate that you are still building cars. Obviously a lot can be done if you have the tools, skill but some things fall into that "juice isn't worth the squeeze" deal.

The "bling" factor means different things to different people, for me is it a very tidy and clean engine compartment, for others it is high technology and yet for others it is bone stock originality.

Here's an option that I am sure you probably don't want to pursue but this is cool to look at Vintage Custom Car Builds and Chassis & Suspension Manufacturer

Personally I would do a full frame like one from Art Morrison or Scwatrz Performance like this https://www.schwartzperformance.com/chassis/1970-1974-e-body-challenger-cuda-chassis/ before I would do the Speedtech deal (about the same money)

I completely get the desire to build something cool and unique, I spent over 10 years building my 73 Cuda, built my own 4 link rear, 4 wheel disc brake system, EFI 6 pack system, custom instrument cluster, etc.

Whatever direction you go I am sure it will be cool.

bc3j

Reaction score
73 then from W8OOT Cleveland OH. Occasionally on WIRES-X on americalink. Good luck on the car.

mmissile

Reaction score
My ragtop is the first car I ever built, to look stock [other than the wheels]. I built it to not be a blingy/bolt-on ride. The main purpose, was to make it look like Chrysler installed everything I did, in 1970. According to my real car-guy friends... It is exactly that. Everything is hidden from looking changed. My version of an "exercise in subtle"...so to speak. Having been mom's car, directed the build.

kc4teq

Reaction score
My ragtop is the first car I ever built, to look stock [other than the wheels]. I built it to not be a blingy/bolt-on ride. The main purpose, was to make it look like Chrysler installed everything I did, in 1970. According to my real car-guy friends... It is exactly that. Everything is hidden from looking changed. My version of an "exercise in subtle"...so to speak. Having been mom's car, directed the build.
Thanks for your input. In my initial entry here on the site, I mentioned that the car has been pieced together, so back to built original was out. Had to replace the driver floor pan. lots of small rust thrus on the firewall and that lovely drain MOPAR put in the, Ugggh! I also mentioned in my original post the car shows, hence the bling factor. A neat, clean, beautifully shiny everything under the hood, to me, smacks of detailing. And the Sergeant Major (my wife) has her say on what certain things are to look like. Imagine that? To each his own I believe is what the guru said. I love every last one of them Classic MOPARs. Even the restos are really something. Again, one and all, many thanks for the inputs.

mmissile

Reaction score
I know how to do bling, but different cars, for different reasons and thought processes.
post missile hemi book picture.jpg

kc4teq

Reaction score
I know how to do bling, but different cars, for different reasons and thought processes.View attachment 85765
THAT, is bling!!! I have never seen the engine well painted silver to what I believe you are doing is to enhance/embellish all the bright work! I cannot tell from the pic what color the 4duece6 is????? Rigid motor mount? Did you do rails and torque boxs ln? May I ask about the slim brake cylinder unit? Who makes it? Just love a neat, clean engine well.... I have a old 53 Red Ram Hemi, awaiting my attention too.... Egge will get a lot of my money!!!!
Thanks for the shot. Got some pointers from it.

mmissile

Reaction score
The block is black. It has a motor-plate, and is in my 67 WO Coronet. It's a legal NHRA S/S car....with a non-legal engine. The master is a Strange unit. Based off the Chrysler unit, with optional mounting bosses/holes in the casting and correctly proportioned for bigs and littles [tires]. The current engine is a different type of bling, and the motor-plate is a one of a kind, work of art.

015.JPG
My hemi 2017.jpg

Back