• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

EFI VS CARB

73 challenger

Reaction score
wanting to convert my stroked 340 from carb to efi . is this the way to go and witch system would be best. I understand I have to upgrade fuel delivery just wondering if it's worth the expense as I want to make my car more drivable I drive my car as much as possible.

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you want maintenance free stick with the carb. Just add an electric pump to the fuel system so you get an instant start when car sits for a while.

moparroy

Reaction score
If you want maintenance free stick with the carb. Just add an electric pump to the fuel system so you get an instant start when car sits for a while.
Funny - I plan to go EFI when the Cuda is finished for exactly the same reason - no maintenance and improved drivability - I have memories of frequent carb adjustments on my Satellite years back. Other than maybe a throttle body clean every couple years, never really done any maintenance on my EFI cars. Carbs on my Gold Wing PMO too - it has to warm up or it will not run properly on a cool morning. EFI start and go. Also find EFI is way less sensitive to gas sitting over the winter - I only use gas stabilizer on my carb stuff. I like the new stealth Holley 4150 EFI system - looks like a carb but drives like EFI.

73 challenger

Reaction score
thank you for your input. I really would like to drive my 73 challenger more but living in Virginia I am limited in winter driving. I would like being able start and go on nice but cold days. Really leaning towards EFI. Any suggestions as to brand .I need simple and reliable

Katfish

Reaction score
I went from carb to Fitech EFI on my old 340, night and day difference.
I have now swapped the 340 for a 5.7 and can't imagine why any one would ever choose a carb over an EFI set-up.
There's a reason there hasn't been a carb from a manufacturer in the last 40yrs.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I went with the carb because I had it, and MOST of the car is original and I wanted to keep it that way. But I know if I try to go up over the mountains here in CA (sea level up to over 7,000 feet), the air-fuel mixture plays heck with the smooth running of the car. It may even over-heat. If I start getting any issues with this carb though, I will probably switch over to the electronic fuel injection system.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I had Fi Tech on my hemi and when car didn't start had to have it flat bedded home. ECU was replaced by fi tech under warranty or $450. I wouldn't trust Fi Tech again. Now I have edelbrock pro flow 4. Ran 2 weeks ago okay. Went to start it and no go. Opened hood and see injector leaking externally. Tried resetting injector and now more leaks. I went to Auto store and got new orings and replaced old ones and still leaking. I looked inside upper and lower rail and I see rubber deposits from the o rings. I'm hoping that is the problem and I solve it after cleaning out the rubber. The other problem I tried to contact Edelbrock and that was futile never returned a reply. Customer support is terrible for both Co.s. Don't compare factory FI to after market stuff. I have an 05 Ram with 98000 miles and just turn the key and take off. I know that is what we want from after market, but I think the problem is there are so many variables with cams, how much fuel engine needs Etc.. And by the way never had the Ram 5.7 fail me after 18 years. I had 2 Ed 1406's on the hemi and never got stuck. Sorry I have had to give you my experience and why I'm not so crazy about after market F.I.. I do admit carbs don't like cold weather, but it beats getting stuck with a bad ECU or other problem you have no idea where to start. That FiTech that got me stuck started right up when it was cold but wouldn't restart when hot, I tried it several times and always same result, no hot start but cold start OK.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Look at the Holley Terminator X Stealth 4150 kit. The ECU is a separate box and is not in the throttle body so electronics do not get fried by engine heat like many of the lower cost kits out there. Check out EFI System Pro's website. It is full of tech info to help you choose what you want and learn about EFI.
You may also want to consider the Holley HyperSpark ignition, coil, and distributor so you have timing control by the Terminator ECU. The lastest HyperSpark ignition box has been reduced in size and can be mounted underdash with the Terminator ECU.
Here is a great thread discussing EFI.

73 challenger

Reaction score
think I'll take the plunge. just have to do a little more research into which brand to choose. thanks for your comments.

Jm73340

Reaction score
I have Edelbrock Proflo3 on one of my 73’s and ProFlo4 on the other. No problems with either. I went with the ProFlo EFI because there’s an injector at each cylinder not a wet manifold like the sniper. Install a in tank fuel pump and Follow the instructions and you shouldn’t have any issues.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I am a carb guy. A muti-carb guy. Six Pack on 1 car, dual 4500 Dominators on 1 car, dual 4150 four barrels on 1 car, cross ram dual fours on 1 car and a single four barrel on another car. My six pack car has been back together and I don't think I have pulled the air cleaner since 2007. Never any issues. Fires right up, runs and drives great. Never any issues with my dual Dominators on the street either, except for maybe lack of fuel mileage...... we are however now installing a FAST EFI single throttle body system on a 440 for my Son's car. Both carbs and EFI have their issues. Just like anything. You just have to work through them.

Sal C

Reaction score
Switching from a carburetor to EFI has been a learning experience to say the least. From advice of a tuner, I decided to try a TBI system. Initially, I went with FiTech as back in the early days of the Sniper there were many problems. I also decided to build it right and not use the "sump" devices, and glad I did. I installed a new EFI tank w/pump, return line, etc. The FiTech system was great, right from the moment I drove my car out of the driveway I could feel the difference. No hesitation, smooth and responsive acceleration, very happy.

The next car I converted was about a year later, this time I tried the Sniper. Again, no issues and worked well. The nice thing about the Sniper was Holley's customer service over FiTech (which is basically non-existent). Also connecting the Sniper to a laptop was easy, the FiTech never worked and you need to be an IT professional to figure it out. The Sniper was flawless, until I had an injector go bad. The tough part was finding someone other than Holley to sell me one (Holley won't, they want you to send the unit back to them for repair). All in all, I liked the Sniper much better than the FiTech.

After running the Sniper for 3 years I didn't want to push my luck, with the bad reviews about RF and other issues I really wanted the next step. Something proven and completely reliable so I wouldn't have to worry. I went with Holley's Terminator X Stealth. No issues with RF, the ECU mounts under my dash far away from the hot engine. I love it. Highly recommend it over the Sniper & it only costs about $500 more.

One thing I will say is if you decide to dive into the EFI world, commit yourself to learning it. It's not plug-and-play. You will need to troubleshoot at some point. Like anything else the more you know about it the more comfortable you will be. There are plenty of resources out there. I am glad I went with EFI, but it's been a long road (and I'm not an expert by any means)...

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I totally agree with @Sal C about the Terminator X Stealth. Mounting the ECU under the dash is ideal. No RFI issues when ECU is remotely mounted with clean power.

Picture below is my auxiliary switched power fuse panel which supplies power to the EFI and other accessories plus an engine shot.
VAC - electric brake vacuum pump (hidden under battery tray)
LED TL - Digi-tails LED taillights
SHFT LT - MSD Shift Light (on steering column)

IGN - Hyperspark Ignition Box (interior at firewall above driveshaft tunnel)
EFI - Terminator ECU Box (directly above Aux Power
MSD - Tachometer Adapter to factory Rallye tachometer
Auxiliary Power Distribution Panel for EFI & Accessories.jpeg

Our Terminator X (1).jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
EFI all the way but not cheap !
I did EFI 14 years ago & pieced together my own system , multi port not T body , Sourced everything separately what an amazing system , tuning while driving , instant cold starts , ever cylinder fired all the time , ven at idle with a solid roller .660 lift cam !

mmissile

Reaction score
I'm a fighter of technology. However, after buying a couple FI motorcycles, I started to see the obvious advantages. With the self-learning EFI for cars, there's no reason not to indulge if you can afford it or are starting fresh. That's the way I feel about Gen III conversions now, too. It's stupid, how much better my cuda is now... as opposed to a stock rebuild.

Last edited:

Sal C

Reaction score
A carburetor is a MECHANICAL piece of equipment. I was taught in shop class it has 7 circuits, all designed to deliver the proper amount of air & fuel needed to efficiently operate the engine. EFI is a computerized carburetor and does the very same thing, only with less mechanical pieces. The variables are the injectors and the throttle body. What the 7 circuits do in a carburetor, software does in EFI. Math calculations replace the mechanical functions. Learning how that is done is what makes these "tuners" special...

Back