• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Emergency flasher relay

Joppe

Reaction score
i found the emergency relay missing in my -70 challenger, when replacing the turn signal switch, and bought a new one, novita 552. but as soon as the battery gets connected the rear turn lights (both) starts blinking. i bought a new turn signal switch, as they really look cheap, i.e. not correct colors on wires, and poor quality of the plastic. but the result is the same. i found out that the correct relay should be a signal stat 175, anybody had problems with this or did not have problems, i.e. can tell me if it works with this relay or not? i meassured voltage on the cable from the relay, to the turn signal unit, and from it out to rear t.signal lights. found no info about neither relays on internet, so thankful if anybody know aabout this issue.

Joppe

Reaction score
After thinking about it, the fault cannot be the relay, as they both work the same way, and supply current to the emergency swith in the túrn signal switch unit.
the reason is probably these low quality switch units, i guess i have to modify it, as the power cable distributes to the rear turn signal lights with the hazard switch "off" and additionally to front turn signal lights in "on".
see picture attached, it fits in the original socket and holder.

12067704_nva_552mc1_pri_larg[1].jpg

Joppe

Reaction score
yes, i was thinking of the EL relay, but sticked with the mechanical type. it is not lasting as long, but long enough, like 50 years or so, considering how seldom i use the car. no, i am running normal bulbs. i got it working. turn out that the new switch connect hazard relay power to the rear turn light bulbs. funny (or really not funny) that the first turn signal switch i bought did the same. i am suprised that not somebody experienced the same. i now picked parts from this new unit to my old original one, and its working. they sold it as "authentic mopar" made in usa, but it said made in china on the box. crap, really. the push button is too big as well by the way.

Back