• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Bay Wiring Help - 72 Challenger

OrangeCrush72

Reaction score
My engine is out so I`m cleaning things up in the engine compartment. Decided it might be a good idea to replace the wiring.
Got a couple new harnesses but they are different from mine.
Anyone out there familiar with engine bay wiring and the differences. Anyone have or seen harnesses like mine ? Are they normal ?
Car is a 72 Challenger Cali built 318 AT 904 PS /PB /AC.....has points ignition.
Pics of trans and engine harness......they`re laid out and labeled connectors. There`s also a strange relay thing above the blower motor.
Eng Harness 3.jpg
Trans Harness 3.jpg
Relay 1.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
The strange relay above the blower motor is the N95 NOX Exhaust Emissions Control. They started showing up in mid 71 and across the board in 72 and up. Your fender tag should have N95 stamped on it.

OrangeCrush72

Reaction score
Yes, N95 is on the fender tag.
How about the round thing w/wire the speedo cable screws into then it screws on trans.....anyone know what that is ?
I just got the car about a year ago....it`s very clean and doesn`t appear to be hacked up.
It does have points distributor....I removed the points and installed a Pertronix module.
Wiring guy said my harnesses look different....trying to find out if others have similar harnesses.

Round thing 1.jpg

Round thing 2.jpg

Firewall 1.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
That switch is also part of the NOX Exhaust Emissions Control. Once the car hits about 40 mph, it works in conjunction with the other piece on the dash and I think retards the timing. Basically emissions related "stuff".

moparleo

Reaction score
You said in the beginning that you had "new" harnesses...

My engine is out so I`m cleaning things up in the engine compartment. Decided it might be a good idea to replace the wiring.
Got a couple new harnesses but they are different from mine.
Anyone out there familiar with engine bay wiring and the differences. Anyone have or seen harnesses like mine ? Are they normal ?
Car is a 72 Challenger Cali built 318 AT 904 PS /PB /AC.....has points ignition.
Pics of trans and engine harness......
Now is the best time to actually get a "new engine harness."
They are not expensive and everything will be flexible and new..
The car is over 50 years old. Wiring is always an issue on older cars especially Mopar.
You must have an earlier production model. Is it a California car ? Emissions are different for California vs. Federal .
Here are a few different year firewalls for reference.

e-body_firewall.jpg

Challenger firewall.jpg

3291020-firewall4rt.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeCrush72

Reaction score
I've got to plug Evan's Wiring. All Bill and his wife do is Mopar wiring and he used the correct color wiring and end connectors. He can make custom harnesses as well. Don't hesitate to call him.

Evans Wiring Harnesses
Yes, the car was built in California. Late build...May of 72 / points ignition.
I did get a new engine harness / trans. harness / wiper motor harness / AC extension.
The new engine harness /trans harness were different than mine that`s why I was asking.
Was gonna get the forward harness also. I`ll get it figured out.....thanks for all the help.

Back