• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust gasket for 440

Foomaster

Reaction score
Read somewhere that the 440 didn't come with exhaust gasket from factory. Any truth to that. I have a tick sound, at least that what I thought at first, but yesterday seems the sound got louder and it sounds more like a exhaust leak instead of a tick. Sound seems to be coming from my passenger rear side of the motor.

I bought new gaskets and just asking tips to install if really any. Run the gasket dry or with a high temp sealant? Heck maybe no gasket. Let me know what you guys recommend.

Adam

Reaction score
Read somewhere that the 440 didn't come with exhaust gasket from factory. Any truth to that. I have a tick sound, at least that what I thought at first, but yesterday seems the sound got louder and it sounds more like a exhaust leak instead of a tick. Sound seems to be coming from my passenger rear side of the motor.

I bought new gaskets and just asking tips to install if really any. Run the gasket dry or with a high temp sealant? Heck maybe no gasket. Let me know what you guys recommend.

When the engine is cold you can start it up and quickly feel around the ports before it gets too hot.. you will be able to feel any leaks. You only have 20-30 seconds so hurry. Sometimes the headpipe will leak where it connects to the manifold, check that too.

moparleo

Reaction score
You didn't say whether you had the stock manifolds or headers. It is true that some manufacturers don't always use a gasket between the manifold and the cylinder head. This is only possible if the head is made from iron. The purpose of any gasket is to maintain a seal when dis similar materials are attached to each other. This is because different materials expand and contract at different rates when heated or cooled. Such as an aluminum block with cast iron heads or vice/versa. So if these expansion/contraction rates are the same, then a gasket is not required. If you still have the stock cast iron manifolds it is very possible that you have a crack in the manifold. very common on older cars. They can be repaired very easily.

Foomaster

Reaction score
I do have stock exhaust manifold with a very early 68 cast iron intake. The back 2 exhaust manifold bolts were loose, tightening them did not cure it but seem to quiet it down some. I will change those gaskets first.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
IN my experience gaskets only cause leaks with iron manifolds , I never use them just a thin coat of high temp sealer like Ultra Copper permatex & bolt them on

js29

Reaction score
agreed! but because bolts had loosened up it could have warped. if it did planing would help to seal it up.

Back