• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Filler tube

Rdwsp

Reaction score
Took the filler tube out of the trunk have and sandblasted the filler tube because someone spray-painted it Black what is the proper color to repaint that if anyone has pictures please send thanks for your time everybody go Mopar

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
There is no paint on the fill tube or the vent tube. You probably shouldn't have sandblasted it as the plating is either a zinc or maybe even an aluminum. I cleaned mine up and then used a fine steel wool to give it a nice buffing.

014.JPG

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
Mine is zinc plated. On a different issue, I have a question regarding venting the gas tank. Whenever I put gas in the car, gas comes pouring out even though tank is not full. I believe its due to a venting issue. Any suggestions on how to best diagnose and resolve this problem? Thanks

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Mine is zinc plated. On a different issue, I have a question regarding venting the gas tank. Whenever I put gas in the car, gas comes pouring out even though tank is not full. I believe its due to a venting issue. Any suggestions on how to best diagnose and resolve this problem? Thanks
I'm interested in this answer also.

Grady Cain

Reaction score

What year is your car? Does it have ECS or just a single vent pipe to atmosphere?

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for your response Grady. Its a 1973 Barracuda with a non-numbers matching 383 4 speed. It does have the ECU. I followed the vent pipe that went from the tank and under to the front of the car. The pipe is metal but it was attached to a rubber hose. Is that hose suppose to be attached to something? It was just dangling and when I grabbed it it detached from the metal tube. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
There are many factors which could cause this condition. For 1973 with the ECS (evaporation control system), you should have a single line from the tank which goes all the way up to the engine compartment and connects to a charcoal canister mounted at the right front corner. First just make sure your system is connected correctly. You say the pipe and rubber hose were "just dangling." Is your charcoal canister there? There should be the line coming to the canister from the fuel tank and a vacuum hose from the top of the canister to the purge port on the carb. (Can't remember if the '73 has a third hose off the canister.)
As an auto technician for 30 years, any time I would diagnose a fuel back-up situation on a modern car, I would look for these things: A blockage in the vent line(s). Any kink or blockage in the vent pipe or rubber connecting hoses can cause your condition. Believe it or not, I've seen spiders build nests inside the vent tubes and cause a blockage strong enough to make fuel back up when filling up. Compressed air through the tube isn't enough to remove it. It has to be flushed with water with the tube off the car. A faulty purge valve. On the '73, the purge valve is actually a port above the throttle plate on your carburetor. If your carb is not an original, chances are the throttle plate (which is your purge valve) is incorrect and you will have to get a separate canister purge valve. Failed charcoal canister. I've seen charcoal canisters break down due to age and fail, causing the same problem. Failed or incorrect fuel tank. This would be the last thing to consider but can be an issue.
If anyone else out there has any suggestions or sees something I have overlooked, please chime in...

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
You described the line going from the tank to the right front corner of the engine compartment. No, their is no canister and obviously no vacuum hose to the carburetor. The canister was likely removed by the previous owner during restoration. That is likely the culprit here. I guess I'll remove the line to the fuel tank and make sure its clear of obstructions, pickup an aftermarket charcoal canister, and see if I can can find someone more knowledgeable help me install it. Do you know if that purge line is not connected to a canister, is their a risk of fuel running out of the tank? Guess I'll just be careful not to overfill it until I get it fixed properly. I appreciate taking your time to point out the probable causes. I'll follow your recommendations and see if I can remedy the problem. Thanks Grady

Grady Cain

Reaction score
If you don't want to go with the canister and purge valve, you can go with a non-ECS system like the 1970 model. You would have to have a proper 1970 fuel tank and the only vent would be a short pipe from the filler neck out of the car to atmosphere. The ECS set-up is good when it's working properly as it aids in preventing hot-start issues among other things.
You shouldn't have any issues with fuel loss through the disconnected vent pipe.
I hope I helped in some way. Here is a link to some good information on this subject I just found. Maybe it will help with a retro-fit if you decide to go that route.
www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/evaporation-control.html

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
Grady, Im not sure what year model tank I have and don't really want to replace it. Im looking for a short cut and more simpler fix. I like your idea of a short pipe from the filler neck out to the atmosphere. So do you think I can remedy the problem to do that with the existing tank? Of course you don't know what tank I have, but neither do I...lol. I believe the tank was replaced by previous owners. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and assisting me in this matter.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
That will only work if you absolutely have a 1970 tank if I'm not mistaken. If you are not sure, you will have to assume that the tank in your car is correct for a 1973 model year Challenger. Again, if someone out there has further information, please chime in. The information on that website I linked to is pretty helpful. Please let me know how you make out...

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
I have a Barracuda not Challenger, but they may have the same gas tank. On a different matter, I am in search for a backup light switch wire harness for my 73 Barracuda with manual tranny. I tried Year One and a few other sites, but no luck. Year One told me that they are year and model specific and that their supplier doesn't make one for my application. Anything you can suggest would be appreciated.

Mad Cuda

Reaction score
I found and ordered one from Evans Wiring Harnesses. Hope they will send me the correct one. If not, the one Brewers carries is the correct harness for my application. Im going to add Brewer's to my reference file. Thanks so much Grady for all your help! Your a great wealth of knowledge on Mopars and if you don't mind, I will seek your assistance on other Mopar matters as they come up. Thanks again, Sergio

Back