• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fish or Cut Bait

TNCUDA70

Reaction score
I have a 318 '70 Grand Coupe convertible that I purchased in 2008, a few months after I had also purchased a 318 '70 Grand Coupe hardtop.

Both cars are matching number, but I started on the hardtop first and the convertible has sat.

The convertible is FE5 red with the bright red leather interior, but is rusted completely in half in the center section and has the usual rust destruction throughout he lower half, really from the beltline down

The car is complete except for one piece of exterior chrome pillar trim and everything works; lights, convertible top, even turns over. - has the original AM radio.

But, the car is a complete mess and it will be years until I can get to it - I am $30+ in my coupe and just into reassembly after replacing everything but the right front frame rail - to do the convertible right it will take more $$, and although that's fine, I have other projects to work on too.

The market for Grand Coupe's isnt that hot - barely lukewarm - I think a slightly extreme restomod may be the best option for this car.

I gave $ 12k for the car when I bought it and thought I did alright at the time. The car has been indoors since i bought it and is not further decaying, BUT it does take up space.

My thoughts are to possibly tear it down and literally shelve it - I have the space...or part it out, it's heavily optioned and has some of the items people pay good $$ for....or just sell it and be done, putting the $$ i gain or lose into the coupe or one of the other projects.

Honestly, it has been a dream of mine to roll out of the shop someday in my restomod ragtop 'cuda for years....but I can't quit on the coupe when I've come this far....

What do you think fellow ebody fans?

• let 'er sit
  • tear it down and shelve it
  • part it out
  • sell it whole

Any ideas on value as is or what I could to with it.

js29

Reaction score
Boy that is A tough call. A picture or two would be nice. what makes you say the market for the gran coup's isn't vary good, on e-bay a slant-6 convertible was listed as buy it now for 32,500. high bid was at 20,600. and it needed A lot of help. good luck on this tough call.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Since it is a convertible, I would try to sell it whole. If it does not sell then you could resort to parting it. It would be a shame for another convertible to go away.

wyckedtanker

Reaction score
I say shelve it or sell it, as long as there is a vin plate it can be rebuilt, don't break up another numbers car for parts, it's a horrible fate for one of these gorgeous e-bodies

B5BLUERT

Reaction score
I say sell it so that somebody else who can restore it, #'s matching e-body verts are hard to come by and you can put the $$$ towards your other project, I would hate to see it parted! Just my 2 cents.

TNCUDA70

Reaction score
Here are pics from when I brought it home.

HPIM1917.jpgHPIM1918.jpgHPIM1919.jpgHPIM1921.jpgHPIM1924.jpgHPIM1925.jpgHPIM1927.jpgHPIM1929.jpg

HPIM1917.jpg

HPIM1918.jpg

HPIM1919.jpg

HPIM1921.jpg

HPIM1924.jpg

HPIM1925.jpg

HPIM1927.jpg

HPIM1929.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Don't cut the car up. Someone will restore it. There is enough left of the car to redo it. My daughter would love to have it. I just have too many cars in the works right now.

Last edited:

js29

Reaction score
Agreed! that would be A shame to parts this car out. is that rally cluster is original to the car, that is A nice option!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Red interior cars are very hard to find. Factor in the convertible part and matching numbers and my opinion would be to shelve the car or sell it to someone else that can store it or restore it.

It's got a red interior !!! That is really cool !!

Any chance of getting a peek at that fender tag?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I agree, don't part it. I would think you'd be able to get at least what you paid for it.

TNCUDA70

Reaction score
OK Boys and Girls - it's time to let her go.

For those of you watching this thread this will be the 1st go around.

No Build Sheet

ROUGH CONDITION - has been stored inside since I have owned for last 5 years.

Check out pics above.

VIN # BP27G0B217923

Fender Tag Reads

L31 - hood/fender turn signal
M25 - Wick Sill Mold
M31 - Belt mold 69-70
N85 - Tach
P37 - Power Convertible Top
V3X - Black Convertible Top
A01 - Light Package
A04 - Basic Group
A62 - Rallye Instrument Cluster
C16 - Console w/Buckets
FE5 - Bright Red
P6E4 - Red Interior
C13 - Front Shoulder Belts
E44- 318 -2
D31 - Light Duty 904-A T-FH
R11 - Music Master AM Radio
V5X - body side mouldings
Y05 - Built to US specs
G33 - O/SLH remote racing mirror

In Nashville, Tennessee.

TNCUDA70

Reaction score
Price? Kind of interested in what ya'll think. Except for a missing trim piece on the windshield, and the road lamps, the car is complete and matching. Am I fishing? Yes, yes I am. Just wondering what the interest is out there. I am selling it and it will be in the next 30 days. If no real interest on here the next stop is Local Mopar Club, then Craigslist, lastly I'll take it on a trailer to local Cars & Coffee. Think I have been pretty fair in description and pics. It's not a 'must sell' , it's a cut bait and let someone hoard it (like I have) or finish it, or chop it up.

Back