• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Forged or Cast Crank??

AL72chally

Reaction score
I’m looking at going to buy a 78 motorhome 440 engine. I’m just buying it for the crankshaft then going to part it out. But I don’t know if it has a forged or cast crankshaft? I have one picture of the damper if anyone would be able to tell by that which one it is? I know it’s not a great picture. Thanks for any help!

EA807073-A183-43B8-95E1-5E419C0A404A.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
If you only want the crankshaft wouldn't it be easier to just by a Scat crank? or something like that.
That way you could buy one that would be internal balance.

AL72chally

Reaction score
If you only want the crankshaft wouldn't it be easier to just by a Scat crank? or something like that.
That way you could buy one that would be internal balance.
Trying to avoid spending over 1k for a crank. With this one, after parting out the rest of the engine the crank would basically be free. Then I’d pay a machine shop to do what needs to be done. Probably have less than $400 in the crank after the machine shop.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Or just buy a 512 stroker kit from 440 Source with with new crank, rods, pistons, rings & bearings all balanced for less than the cost of rebuilding the old parts & you get 512 CI as a bonus !

AL72chally

Reaction score
Or just buy a 512 stroker kit from 440 Source with with new crank, rods, pistons, rings & bearings all balanced for less than the cost of rebuilding the old parts & you get 512 CI as a bonus !
I will look into that but I was able to get a 440 block, comp cam, lifters, rods and pistons all for $1000! Lady’s Husband passed several years ago and she was just selling stuff to get rid of it.

AL72chally

Reaction score
I will look into that but I was able to get a 440 block, comp cam, lifters, rods and pistons all for $1000! Lady’s Husband passed several years ago and she was just selling stuff to get rid of it.
Oh and the cam, lifters, and pistons are brand new in boxes!

NixDad

Reaction score
Pm me if you are interested in a 68 440 long block. It’s cracked by a freeze plug, but would have a gorged crank and all other engine pieces you may need. If your in GB I’m a little over an hour away

Bobzilla

Reaction score
When guys mention lifter "problems" in general it does not really help anyone. Please specify if you have noisy hydraulic lifters or if you have a cam that has one or more flat lobes. Then it has flat lobes, was that during break-in or was running for years and then went flat.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Fresh rebuild and within the first several hundred miles the lifters weren’t pumping up or doing so intermittently at best.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
We use thousands of Comp Cams products every year. Yes, sometimes there is an issue here and there with their products just like any other brand name out there. They all have issues at times. Many stand by their products though. When you build hundreds of engines every year, we have seen it all. They all do have good products as well. Most everyone just remembers the complaints that they heard. I have a Comp XE292 and their lifters in one of my 440's with over 55,000 on it so far. Just break then in properly.

Back