• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel delivery issues.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I've been dealing with some fuel delivery issues in my Imperial (440) since I've owned it. Since about midsummer the issue got worse and the car began to run out of gas intermittently. The car had been in storage for a number of years before I bought it and I began going through it one issue at a time in order to make it run, drive and function as good or better than new. This winter I was planning on dropping the tank figuring that the bottom line in the fuel problem was gunk in the system from today's so called fuel. Since I've owned the car I have been using Brad Penn oil and only recently began using an additive in the gas to counter the effects of the ethanol that we are being forced to pump into our tanks. I've had a growing suspicion by the way the car acts, sometimes hard to start and the fact that it runs out of gas usually just off idle under acceleration, that the fuel pump pushrod was my problem. Well I finally took the time to pull it out and found that it was not only shortened but it is almost 3/8" shorter than it should be! It's a wonder that it even ran at all! Had a spare laying around and now runs like a champ. My suggestion to all of you if you haven't already is to take a little time to check the length of your rod.....

image.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This can be a problem , a friend had problems for years , new pumps etc , I checked & the pushrod was the issue , no one else had looked for that problem

Back