• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuse Block Replacement

money pit

Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing the stock fuse block on my Barracuda with a modern fuse block with more circuits. Has anyone installed one of these after market blocks? I was wondering if this new block will have fit in the old location and have the same type of bulkhead connections. Could I install the block under the hood? I don't have headers. Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
I have used a Ron Francis kit: Ron Francis Wiring

And a Kwikwire kit:
Kwik Wire - Electrify Your Ride | Auto Restoration Wiring

These are both good kits to re-wire a hot rod or project. I used one for a 1948 Power Wagon that was originally 6 volt, cloth covered wire. And a 1942 Dodge Carryall that had no wires left at all..

Having done this twice, I would recommend you keep your original fuse block with factory style bulkhead connectors, and just add some fused wires off the starter relay (always hot) or one of the alternator field wires (hot when running).

If you do want to replace your system you can place it anywhere, but you will have a big square hole in the firewall to deal with. These kits have wires that are printed with each destination; e.g oil sender, coil, alternator, etc. this is nice, but they do not have bulkhead connectors, so you have to bundle the harnesses thru the firewall (engine harness & light harness). You could cut and terminate each wire into your factory bulkhead connector, but what would be the point of that?

If there is a kit out there that has bulkhead connectors, it is probably GM based. You may/will run into issues with your steering column connector, dash harness, connectors, and rear light/body harness.

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
I have used a Ron Francis kit: Ron Francis Wiring

And a Kwikwire kit:
Kwik Wire - Electrify Your Ride | Auto Restoration Wiring

These are both good kits to re-wire a hot rod or project. I used one for a 1948 Power Wagon that was originally 6 volt, cloth covered wire. And a 1942 Dodge Carryall that had no wires left at all..

Having done this twice, I would recommend you keep your original fuse block with factory style bulkhead connectors, and just add some fused wires off the starter relay (always hot) or one of the alternator field wires (hot when running).

If you do want to replace your system you can place it anywhere, but you will have a big square hole in the firewall to deal with. These kits have wires that are printed with each destination; e.g oil sender, coil, alternator, etc. this is nice, but they do not have bulkhead connectors, so you have to bundle the harnesses thru the firewall (engine harness & light harness). You could cut and terminate each wire into your factory bulkhead connector, but what would be the point of that?

If there is a kit out there that has bulkhead connectors, it is probably GM based. You may/will run into issues with your steering column connector, dash harness, connectors, and rear light/body harness.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I wanted to replace the fuse block and relocate it since I have a hard time crawling under the dash, I want to use the new style fuses, and I want to add a few more circuits. Sorry for the delayed response, a lot of fires in So. Cal and power shut downs. Thanks again.

Back