• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

G code Challengers... Whats your opinion?

B2G707

Reaction score
So I finally get my dream car 1970 Dodge Challenger after years and years of waiting, wishing and more importantly hard work. So I got the G code(2 door with a 318 engine) model, but it actually has a 360 inside instead of the 318.

I take it to this Mopar shop/enthusiast aka a purist I believe thats what they call them. So I ask him can I get a quote to redo my interior, paint and throw a 440 engine in it. After he gives me the quote reluctantly, he saids, "you know this car will not be worth much after you do this job right?" As far as I'm concern I just got my dream car and slowly but surely want to fix it up to look nice and go fast. Plus I don't plan on selling it.

Well his argument, was it isn't a R/T. Only R/T's have value and is worth fixing up. But base models aren't worth restoring.

Can I get some advice on this? How many people in this forum has the base model and actually invested money into it?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'd tell him to screw himself and take your business elsewhere. What a fool this guy is chasing away a paying job! Says it all in my opinion.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Build it the way that makes you happy.
Many members here are doing it their way!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

jimbyr

Reaction score
318 Challengers on ebay can go for 20-50k with an engine swap, up to 80k with a hemi. Really depends on how well it's done. Do what you want, it's your car, your dream

Jim

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I see what you shop guy was saying. He could have been more tactful about it. Your car will never be worth to someone else what you put into it. There are exceptions to this, but it is true most of the time. The G code car was designed to be transportation. The shell is basically the same as a RT. This gives you room to upgrade your car and make it what you want it to be. You can't hurt the value by changing it. If you have space to work on your car, you can do a lot of it yourself. There are builds posted on this site that will help. Plus we will answer any questions you might have. Build it and enjoy it.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
If it was all stock, mint matching #'s I would think twice. Original engine gone = do what you want and make it fun.

Sheldon

Adam

Reaction score
Build it how you want, it is just a 318 car so you are not too concerned with hurting it's value. In fact, if you do a good job it will be worth more:)

gdrill

Reaction score
I agree with all the above. There is one case where he could be off a little. The restomods are very popular right now and being a 318 car allows you to do whatever you want to. Sometimes having the "coveted" model limits what you might consider the right thing to do. As for yours, if you want a 440, go for it. It will be worth more than having the 360 all day long. And the real value is measured in smiles per gallon! :)

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I agree with what others have said... Built it the way you want..

As far as value of the car, everything you do to improve the car will add value, but you will never get the amount of money you put into one of these car's (in most cases)
Some things that cost a lot, and wont add value.. like a custom paint, There was a car that had a beautiful paint job, but had a strip with skulls in it... it looked good, but most all the comments about it were negative ... however I bet the guy who had it done though it was just fantastic.

You will just have to decide what it is that YOU really want...??? Is this a passion. Something you will keep and pass down, or... is this just another car that you will enjoy for now, but want to sell in the future. Nothing wrong with either one, as both save a car that we all love.

Keep us posted and of course more pictures.

jimbyr

Reaction score
If you don't mind us knowing what did you pay for the car, what condition is it in now and what is the guy wanting to charge you for paint, interior and the 440.

Jim

B2G707

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I mean thats what I thought, I'm from the Bay Area so we are big on muscle cars. I grew up seeing guys get their car they want, and fix it up bumper to bumper.

And yes I wasn't informed about values of R/T's vs G models(318). But man! He said it like no matter what I do to my car, it won't be worth jack Sh%t(excuse my language). And honestly i been wanting this car since I was 14 years old, now 35 years old. I don't plan on putting money into it and then selling it. I wanted to keep this in my family.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your input. Definitely helped me to understand better about the Mopar car game.

e-440

Reaction score
Make it the way you want! A 1970 Challenger is a desirable car no matter what engine is in it. If you change from a SB to BB you will also need to change the transmission, different bell housings. Small Blocks don't get the credit they deserve. Don't let other people down play your car. Enjoy your car and make it what you want as time and money permit.

8bit

Reaction score
All true, and even the youngest E body is now 43 years old. They didn't make that many to start with compared to Mustang , Camaro etc. So even base versions are collectible and appreciating in value.

jeff968

Reaction score
The guy is correct about his market observations and again, if you don't care about the return on investment part of your project then it makes no difference at all so proceed with your build.

That said, if you were going the "stock appearance" path and started with the same type of car with a 360 in it but it was an R/T, put the same amount of money into it, your end result would be worth more then a "G" code Challenger. But if you are not selling it and are doing the car for yourself it makes no difference.

moper

Reaction score
I can't imagine a well done 440 Challenger, clone, swap, whatever you want to call it, EVER being outvalued by a well done fully restored 318 car. Stock numbers matching is great, but the 318 cars have little appeal due to the 318 in it. Do what you want.

crazyhawk

Reaction score
I personally found out that even if you have a '70 hemi 'Cuda, someone is gonna' rip on it for being the wrong color or not being a stick or whatever. When people diss my car, I always say "what do you have?", then find something to criticize about their car. Heehee.

Litchkar

Reaction score
Go for it, it's your dream not his. I would bet that most of the members on this site bought their cars to drive and to enjoy, not just as an investment. Have fun with it and know that most people love E-Bodies when they see them on the road.

/sixchall

Reaction score
OK, you asked how many of the enthusiasts on this site have a base model vehicle and have invested any capital into said vehicle. Let's see, I purchased my 1970 Dodge Challenger as a trade-in from my local Dodge dealership w/ 40K on the clock for the Kings ransom of $1,100. In 1973. Sprayed in EK2, go-mango, wrapped inside and out in SE trim, under the hood the 225 SL6, auto.(904) and 8.75 rear. You know, in 44 years of driving it now w/ 562K on the odometer.how much have I invested monetarily!, I have no idea. A lot I suppose, just keeping it running.I've kept no records, but I must be doing something right. She looks as great as when I drove her off the lot. It's my car and I love her just as she is. I'll always be proud her no matter where she is shows cruises mopar or otherwise. Thanks for listening, AL

Back