• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

G code Challengers... Whats your opinion?

Canuck74

Reaction score
I agree, it's great to see a slant six.
The first and only stock, original 318 I've ever seen was 3 years ago at a spring fling, and I've been into this 10 years. Was the most interesting car there in my opinion, and certainly influenced me to restore my '74 Rallye back to stock 318. All of the cars that had 318s or sixes no longer do, so to see a nice one is a treat.

mpdlawdog

Reaction score
build it the way you want it....mine started life as a 72 rally car...thats all I know..no fender tag..no build sheet...no matching number anything...she is now a 70 ta clone...Id say Ive enjoyed every minute rebuilding her but, getting the doors and fenders to line up is ticking me off!!

8bit

Reaction score
I came across a 1978 AMC AMX with 4 speed and 258 six. A very nice car with the factory mags and flame hood decal. I remember thinking what a good thing the owner didn't drop in a 304 or 360 V8. It's great to see cars with different specs.

/sixchall

Reaction score
image.png
Thanks arm loads Guy's for the positive responses to my post #19. I could'nt be more happier to own this unique ride. After 44 years of stellar, unfaltering daily driven service, she has put up with everything I've ever asked of her. (3) engines, (2) trans.and (2) rear ends ( things do wear out and must be replaced). However, the initial posting we are responding to, was started by B2G707, he asked for advice on base model 70-74 Challengers and monies invested in these cars. I guess with everything said we did'nt fail him. As we've all said, by the end of the day, build it as you please, it's your car. Our cars are special to us no matter how we put them together. And to be admired by the efforts we've put forth. I am going to try to post a pic of my SL6, 70 Challenger. Thanks Guy's AL

/sixchall

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos MATT, as for the '74 bumper guards, I took every precautionary measure for safety and protection I could, Driving it everyday as a daily driver back and forth to work (60 miles a day) and wherever, including various shows and cruises. In the late 70's I added the vinyl side rub strips and the '74 Challenger bumper guards along with the 3-point deluxe seat belts and deluxe rear seat belts and the LARGER '74 chrome sport side rear view mirrors. All this in the name of safety, efficiency and protection. From the original 40K miles on it when I bought it to the 562K I have on it now. As for the power bulge hood (if there is a question) on an original SL6 car, simple want and economics. $55. Scored me a perfect sheet metal original hood. I created engine call-outs on sides of bulges "225 MAGNUM) no such animal but w/ hood up or down the car still says 6-cylinder. Appreciate your interest. AL

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos MATT, as for the '74 bumper guards, I took every precautionary measure for safety and protection I could, Driving it everyday as a daily driver back and forth to work (60 miles a day) and wherever, including various shows and cruises. In the late 70's I added the vinyl side rub strips and the '74 Challenger bumper guards along with the 3-point deluxe seat belts and deluxe rear seat belts and the LARGER '74 chrome sport side rear view mirrors. All this in the name of safety, efficiency and protection. From the original 40K miles on it when I bought it to the 562K I have on it now. As for the power bulge hood (if there is a question) on an original SL6 car, simple want and economics. $55. Scored me a perfect sheet metal original hood. I created engine call-outs on sides of bulges "225 MAGNUM) no such animal but w/ hood up or down the car still says 6-cylinder. Appreciate your interest. AL
Al, I love everything that you did to it including the 562K miles, that's damned impressive! If there were more guys like you, more of these cars would still have survived. My hat is off to you!

/sixchall

Reaction score
Really appreciate the many likes my old street warrior has received here, Went to the Spring Fling, last week-end, here in SoCal. I'd say 90% of people checking it out approved of MY efforts, however the purists wanted answers to why this and why that. Good thing there's room for everyone's opinion. By the way PAHARAMIA, noticed your from No.Jersey. I have relatives on my Mothers side from Cape May Co. So.Jersey.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Really appreciate the many likes my old street warrior has received here, Went to the Spring Fling, last week-end, here in SoCal. I'd say 90% of people checking it out approved of MY efforts, however the purists wanted answers to why this and why that. Good thing there's room for everyone's opinion. By the way PAHARAMIA, noticed your from No.Jersey. I have relatives on my Mothers side from Cape May Co. So.Jersey.
There are a number of members from New Jersey.
Cape May is really great. I'm am an old house fan and love the architecture there.
Very historic place to visit.

/sixchall

Reaction score
I talked to Rob Wolf of MCG at the Spring Fling here in SoCal maybe an interest in the car. He is interested in it's history and a lot of it's other nuances, however if it were used in the magazine he feared reprisal from the purists, because of ,I guess, the non OE color interior (black SE interior) it was burnt orange. Cal sun beat the interior up all the years as a d/d, Again for want and economics I scored on a COMPLETE, SE black interior for $100. And also a black, non air, 3-speaker, OE, dash pad. Beautiful non blemished cond. for $100. Just had my seats redone to match, new carpet. With the addition of all the '74 challenger parts makes it a target for the OE guys. That's cool I like it and we have a lot of history together. A lot of high 5's from the guys over at C-C.COM. Oh!, PAHARAMIA, mother is from Tuckahoe, N.J. In Cape May Co. She passed at 90 in Nov.'16.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I talked to Rob Wolf of MCG at the Spring Fling here in SoCal maybe an interest in the car. He is interested in it's history and a lot of it's other nuances, however if it were used in the magazine he feared reprisal from the purists, because of ,I guess, the non OE color interior (black SE interior) it was burnt orange. Cal sun beat the interior up all the years as a d/d, Again for want and economics I scored on a COMPLETE, SE black interior for $100. And also a black, non air, 3-speaker, OE, dash pad. Beautiful non blemished cond. for $100. Just had my seats redone to match, new carpet. With the addition of all the '74 challenger parts makes it a target for the OE guys. That's cool I like it and we have a lot of history together. A lot of high 5's from the guys over at C-C.COM. Oh!, PAHARAMIA, mother is from Tuckahoe, N.J. In Cape May Co. She passed at 90 in Nov.'16.
God Bless your Mom PH

1969VADart

Reaction score
I grappled with this same question on my previous project--a 69 Dart GT. The amount of money I invested in the project was far more than the car would ever be worth. Now that I am done with it, I couldn't be happier because I still have an old Mopar that is very rare in my area. Parked next to all the Mustangs and Camaros in town all people want to talk about is the work that went into the Dart. I am preparing to do the same thing with a basically base model 318 Challenger. When I am done it will be a bad ass big block ground pounder.

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Take your car elsewhere to restore it where they will be as happy to build it for you as you are happy to have your dream car!

Back