• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gabe Flores

One of few

Reaction score
Greetings again my friend:

Here’s the photos I took of my failed installation of the Sanden 508 Compressor, and the upgrade brackets sold by Classic Industries.

This might fit Mopar 383’s with stock heads, clearly from the photos, no way - no how will those AC Brackets bolt up to a 383 with Edelbrock heads.

Is there a logical answer for this equation, or am I doing without AC?

Thanks in advance - Doug White

0A64B7BF-0AC8-430E-AC19-BA11C2E9ABD6.jpeg

BFD15B6E-C7EF-4A83-A291-6E58C7EC2CBC.jpeg

849A23D2-C0C5-4FCC-91C0-5CBBCB53F700.jpeg

D49D8297-B66C-4A3B-A34B-DE3FE6C42EC6.jpeg

400CB9F9-4E99-44F4-BCD8-C13CD53A4984.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Probably the heads are too long at the front pushing the brackets too far forward .

One of few

Reaction score
Yes - that C.I. / AC bracket set up isn’t compatible with those Edelbrock heads, as it is. It’s going to need a little finesse, to make it all fit.

One of few

Reaction score
Yes, I ran into a belt adjustment issue with that chrome C.I. Alternator. The head won’t allow for the full adjustment of the alternator - but it’s close. I’m going to try a little shorter belt, and see if that might be a viable solution. I’ve still got to make final fit adjustments to the AC bracket jewelry, after that’s put to bed
I’m really surprised nobody’s ever tried this before - this forum has a knowledge base that’s second to none.

moparleo

Reaction score
Remember that with a dual belt application, the belts should be a "matched set". That is because belts will vary in their length and this will cause squealing as the belts are actually spinning at slightly different speeds.
V-belt Matching
Here is a posting from another forum "

matched sets are still available, most parts store dummies have no clue what a matched set means,....when a belt is made, it starts life as a long tube that gets turned (cut) in to the desired V rating (width and profile) numbers are stenciled along the belt in a progressive series along the width, ...example 33345 and 33346 are matched, 33345 and 34478 are not, it was cut further down the tube, which may be smaller or wider in diameter,....the BS line that all belt are now built to exacting standards is BS,....find a parts store that can supply your request

May be the case with some but not with Gates.Just went through the same thing.
What I was told:

All of our v-belts a formed ground (cut) and are within 1/,1000 of inch tolerance from each other. When the dealer told you all belts are matched, he was telling the truth. With that said, a few years ago we changed the design of the inside cogs of the belts. Please see if the cogs match each other. You will also see a code in red ink on the belt (example:238SS). That tells the run date and location. If those numbers are close or the same, that means the belts were mfg on the same spool.

Regards,
DAVID SLATER
Territory Sales Manager
Gates Automotive / Heavy Duty Aftermarket "

Just an FYI for you guys out there working on older, v-belt a/c with double belt system and are having noise issues when turning on the a/c.

gs73rallye

Reaction score
That is great info, that the tolerances are now what they should have always been. Somebody had a matched set listed for four times the price, just because they were matched set.

Katfish

Reaction score
I went through the belt thing when I converted to Sanden with dual pulley.
Bought 4 belts at local auto store, mixed and matched until I found 2 that worked together and returned the other 2

One of few

Reaction score
Only those that can see the invisible, can do the impossible…..

That Sanden AC unit now fits my 383, with those Edelbrock heads. Looking at the service manual, everything else lined up as originally designed. Snug, but functional…..

B0FB2AF8-BE9C-4861-B8FC-D4CBE88EBC79.jpeg

536AA11D-1960-438F-8903-B785FFAD52F2.jpeg

Back