• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gathering info on manual trans.

Nitrocide595

Reaction score
some of you may have seen my post about my project motor I'm going to be working on over the course of the next century (due to pathetically low funds) and if you're interested, that thread can be found here: http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4535

I have the motor to start on, but I don't have a car to put it in yet, but I've got some ideas- 70-71 'cuda/Challenger, 68/69 dart, '70GTX/Roadrunner, but those are just a few to think about. no idea what it'll be, it's a matter of right place, right time, and right price. but anyway, down to business:

We're talking manual transmissions in my Drivetrain class at school, and I've decided whatever I choose to put this motor into, I want it to be a 5 speed. I've only gotten to drive stick once or twice but I'm pretty good and I like it, plus, (not to knock Auto cars, but...) Manual Muscle Cars are the way to go.

I know how all the components work and go together, plus I got a few books on it. We talked about the T5 transmission and how it was used in a little bit of everything over the course of it's life. I have a book on it too. Obviously before I buy a transmission, I'll consider all options.

I'm trying to build this project on paper before I pour my future money into it, so I'm getting a plan together that I'd like to follow. What are your thoughts on transmissions for a motor like the one I'm working on? 360 Small block that I think I might just stroke it (unsure so far). remember, it's on a budget, I'm looking for a 5 speed, and I plan on accidentally burning out a few clutches in the beginning lol

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
hmm good 5 spd options , the TKO 600 is the strong one I believe but still doesn't like to be shifted hard at high RPM , Passion has a 833 retrofit 5 spd coming out or use a Viper T56 6 spd , there are a few people doing this fit now

Nitrocide595

Reaction score
alright, good stuff. I didn't think about high RPM gear-banging... I'm not really looking to race it, but I'll be a little tough on it for fun I think (classic Motor-head, right? lol)

Back