• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Glove box lock problems

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
My glove box lock worked about 3 times when I bought the car, but after the 4th and final opening, the key failed to operate the mechanism. Luckily, the door was open when the lock failed, so I was able to remove it. But now, I have an open glove box with no lock (or latch to keep it closed).

How do I troubleshoot the lock? I've tried saturating it in WD40 and trying to work the mechanism, to no avail. To me, it feels like I'm trying to unlock it with the wrong key, if that makes sense. It simply won't even act like it's trying to unlock. And how do I remove the lock cylinder?

fullsizeoutput_e05.jpeg

NixDad

Reaction score
i took mine to a local locksmith and his fix was fast and reasonably priced.
I think you need to put the key in and then depress a tab in the cylinder

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I tried removing the cylinder by referencing the video, but for some reason it wouldn't budge. I took it to a local locksmith yesterday, and today he called to tell me it was done.

When I picked it up, I asked what was wrong with it. He said someone (probably me) had turned the key a little too far and it had moved past the wafers (?) or the wafers had moved? I'm not a locksmith. But basically, I turned the key either too hard or too far and the cylinder rotated inside the assembly. The charge was $15, so with a $5 tip, I'm back in service for $20.

And he made 2 spares!

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
I tried removing the cylinder by referencing the video, but for some reason it wouldn't budge. I took it to a local locksmith yesterday, and today he called to tell me it was done.

When I picked it up, I asked what was wrong with it. He said someone (probably me) had turned the key a little too far and it had moved past the wafers (?) or the wafers had moved? I'm not a locksmith. But basically, I turned the key either too hard or too far and the cylinder rotated inside the assembly. The charge was $15, so with a $5 tip, I'm back in service for $20.

And he made 2 spares!
That's good service right there!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
too bad I didn't see this earlier , I am a locksmith , they are a relatively simple device !

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
too bad I didn't see this earlier , I am a locksmith , they are a relatively simple device !
Well maybe you can help. Because after I got it home, I realized I need to remove the cylinder in order to install it, and depressing the tab like the video shows doesn’t work. Also, now the mechanism works without a key.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If the key is in the lock the retainer tab cannot be depressed , also it has to be in the locked position to access the retainer tab , you also have to depress each wafer as you withdraw the cylinder .

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You might need to walk me through this if you don’t mind. Is this the tab I need to depress?
C3DEC7C0-9651-4003-B385-01B782643702.jpeg

If so, nothing happens when I depress it. Is there something else I need to be doing to remove the cylinder?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it is hidden right behind the retaining collar you have to hook under the casting a little to access it

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I think I found the tab, but when I depress it, nothing happens. Do I need to remove the spring at the end of the assembly?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Okay. The tab I'm depressing is right here where the arrow is pointing.
fullsizeoutput_e3a.jpeg

The cylinder won't budge at all. That's why I was wondering if maybe there's something else in place keeping it from pulling out. I'll keep trying.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can remove the spring pressure by holding the latch this could help .

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I tried that. What if I removed the latch itself? I have a feeling there's something simple I'm not doing or not doing correctly....just need to figure out what it is. Thanks for your help so far.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A few years back,I took mine apart as instructed. A little tricky.I remember being gentle but forceful at the right position and time. finesse. Lock smith treated you right! Think I pushed in a little while depressing the tab?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I'll keep at it. Yes, the locksmith is a stand up guy. He's local and works out of his home. I took the lock back to him after I realized the issues, and he was honest with me and told me he wasn't very familiar with that particular mechanism. He's a funny guy, and told me "I would be happy to NOT work on this for you." Haha. But he also said if I got stuck, I could drop it off and he'd give it another go.

Back