• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

header help - long or shortys

llane

Reaction score
I just purchased a Challenger. It is the 318 motor. The stance on the car is exactly what I like (slight downslope to front) the only problem with the car is, the drivers side header is too low. Its done in. If you get a big hump it will hit. Looking to purchase new ones. Was this just the wrong header or does anyone else had this problem with the long headers. I was told to go with the shortys but I would have to buy a smaller starter? If anyone could give me some advice I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Small block headers are tough , most go under the steering which is bad as it minimizes ground clearance & hammer the tubes flat , there are 3 headers properly designed for the small block TTI , Dougs & Hooker 5115 , these all stay above the steering , the first 2 are awesome for fit & quality , the Hookers are so so , you get what you pay for !
I would definatly recommend long tube headers though .

moparleo

Reaction score
You need to know what the front ride height is set to. Unless you have air shocks on the rear, someone probably just loosened up the front torsion bars. Not good and will give you clearance problems no matter what header you use. So find that out first.

llane

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I noticed what you said about the steering. The headers just look wrong. The car is not that low and it has lots of room for properly fitting headers.

Bill

Reaction score
Small block headers are tough , most go under the steering which is bad as it minimizes ground clearance & hammer the tubes flat , there are 3 headers properly designed for the small block TTI , Dougs & Hooker 5115 , these all stay above the steering , the first 2 are awesome for fit & quality , the Hookers are so so , you get what you pay for !
I would definatly recommend long tube headers though .
I was wondering what you don't like about the shortys.

llane

Reaction score
Does anyone have shortys, how do they sound and do you have to get a smaller starter for it? That is what I've been told.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Nothing really wrong with shortys , they just do not have the individual tube length to create scavenging which can actually have more effect on cylinder filling than the pistons moving down the bore does so if you are going to spend the hard earned cash you might as well get the most for the $$ .
Everything depends on the header design as far as what starter will fit , most header will work with both but the mini starter often is replaceable without touching / moving the header at all

mmissile

Reaction score
With a full/quiet exhaust system, the chances of the average guy noticing any difference in header tuber lengths vs performance, is negligible. I'd be more worried about the quality of the header's materials and assembly. I'd get what fits best for a non-racecar....or have a set built.

llane

Reaction score
Well I took off the header it got a little beaten up my friend is just going to weld it up for me for right now consider fixing it up in the winter I'm not using it I think I will go with the TTI headers this sounds like they'll probably fit the best thanks for all the good advice

Back