• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Header suggestions for 1974 Challenger with a 318.

rrbbkk

Reaction score
The driver's side header on my 318 Challenger has always hung low, so much so that it occasionally scrapes the ground. While it's still functional it has a pretty profound flat spot on it now. I found the headers on-line about 15-16 years ago. They were a cheap Asian import if memory serves. Can anyone suggest a brand/model of header that would fit my car better? Or should I just go back to the stock manifolds and pipe? THX!

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I installed Hedman ceramic coated on my 340 as they were much less expensive than TTI's. But now I wish I went with TTI after doing more research on fitment and clearances as you noted. Another thing was that one of the exhaust tubes hit the Edelbrock RPM aluminum head on the driver side, which required some grinding on the head. They would have probably not hit cast iron heads. I'll let others chime in, but I've heard most others on this platform swear by the TTI's. Either go with ceramic coated or use the wrap to control the heat under the hood, IMO. Good luck.

rrbbkk

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Hedmans. I'm considering "shorty" headers as they would appear to address the size/length issue. I see both Hedman and TTI make shorty headers. I understand the shortys don't make as much horsepower but I'm not really concerned with a 318. Any opinions on shortys?

resronut

Reaction score
I have a brand new set of Hedman HTC coated headers that I modified so no grinding of the head is needed. I had a long drawn out back and forth with Hedman and they sent me a redesigned set that were exactly the same as the first set. I modified them to fit w/o grinding and sent them the fix and never heard anything back. I have the first set on my 340 Challenger now and am happy. They are currently on E Bay as of today reasonably priced.

Xcudame

Reaction score
They cost more, but TTIs fit the best period. People have good luck with Doug's headers as well. Other options are a set of 68 to 70 340 exhaust manifolds, but they're spendy as well nowadays. I forget the exact years but the early 90s truck exhaust manifolds flow well too. I know 91 to 93 truck exhaust manifolds flow pretty good. Anything is better than the poor stock 318 exhaust manifolds. Sometimes there are issues on the driver's side with shorty headers and either the steering box/column and stock starter. Just read all the footnotes for each header you consider.

resronut

Reaction score
The Hedman headers are a good fit for a street car, clear the P/S, starter and column w/o problems as well as being short you can tailor your head pipes to give good ground clearance even with 2 1/2 pipe.

resronut

Reaction score
The Hedman 78506 which are tight tubes and shorties clear the linkage and even the T/A box

Back