• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

HEI Distributor Upgrade Problems

cv70chall

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded my distributor to an HEI and I seem to be having issues- potentially when the car has been running for 20-30 minutes and I go to re-start. the car won't turn over and when it does start- it dies immediately or backfires from the carb. I'm going to replace the fuel pump, filter and sending unit anyway- but I want to be sure this isn't causing any issues. I've checked all my voltages/ VR/ ALT/ BATT and everything is fine- including charging voltage and idle voltage levels.

Any suggestions?

JDcuda

Reaction score
What kind of ignition box are you running?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Neil, That is what he has. He also has a 360 motor that was sold to him with 318 heads. I checked today and the intake is a 318 port style Edelbrock performer. So at least the top matches. When he runs the car a while the filter runs out of fuel. It could just be junk in the tank that gets sucked up in the tank sock. It may correct itself with the new fuel pump. When it backfires it actually tries to run backward as if it were idling too fast when shut off. Any ideas of anything else to look for? When I put a timing light on it, it was around 15 degrees BTDC without the vacuum advance connected. I got the timing set correctly now. I worry about the cam being in the correct position with the way this was put together for him. I know it was not degreed in.

moparleo

Reaction score
Time to make a tdc tool. Find crankshaft TDC and then valve timing check for cam , rockers. You might just want to do a compression test first to see if it is a timing problem.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It acts like timing to me Leo. I just haven't had the time to really get into it. It has plenty of compression. The motor was refreshed.

Back