• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from Long Island!

JamesG

Reaction score
I'm from Long Island New York and have owned my Barracuda Gran Coupe for 20 years now, bought it when I was 19 years old with only 36k miles on it... it has 77K now. It was my daily driver for about 5 years. I first looked at the car a year before I bought it. The guy posted it for sale in the paper, but never sold it. He was asking $6500 for it. I drove by that car every single week for a year and kept my eyes on the
classified. Then, one day, I saw an ad for a 1970 Cuda for $6,000...that's it, but I recognized the phone number. I called up and ran over as soon as I saw it. I was the first one there. I didn't have the money, and he was firm asking for the $6000. I went home, and
talked to Mom... and asked if I could borrow a little money and scraped together $5000. I went over to his house with the cash in hand and
waved it under his nose. He couldn't resist and the car was mine.

It was originally owned by a Vietnam Vet in Jamaica, NY. Funny, that is where I was born. The poor guy though didn't come home the same and after a couple of years, he ended up parking it up on blocks for about 15 years. The daughter of a guy he knew was dating the guy I bought it off of. He was supposed to buy it and keep it for the older guy... but his daughter broke up with him and he never sold the car back to the old guy. I found out this when the girls father saw the car at a cruise night, and started yelling at me that this was "his car". Not anymore.

When I got it home, it needed a bit of work... all new rubber and it still had the original anti-freeze in the car... came out like mud.
Took about a week to finally get that cleared out. It also only had a quart of oil in it. The guy I bought it off was an idiot.

I ended up getting the body straightened out a few years ago. It was never hit, had only minor rust in the rear quarters. I also pulled the
engine and rebuilt it with a slight bump in the cam.

It is a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe. 383-4v, 727 auto. with 3.23 gears in the 8 3/4 rear. Car has the Gran Coupe interior, leather seats, , PS, PB, A/C, overhead console, AM 8-Track, 5 speaker radio with the fader control on the dash. It still worked when I bought the car.

I have an Edelbrock 750 on the car now, but still have the original AVS. It also has TTI 1 3/4" headers with a Magna-flow stainless steel exhaust on it now with the KYB shocks. Amazing the difference those shocks made in the ride and feel of the car.
I do like to run the car on occassion, without the headers it had a best time of 14.56 in the 1/4 mile. I am curious how it will do now with the headers. I won't do anything to the car that can turn back to stock in a matter of days.

I also drove it a couple of years ago to the Mopar Nats in Columbus... yes drove it, didn't trailer it. That was a HOT cross country run in August in a black on black car.

Some pics:
IMG00113-20090906-1349.jpg

IMG00116-20090906-1350.jpg

DCP_5325a.jpg

DCP_5331.jpg

Englishtown09062009.jpg

Makindust2

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Beautiful car loves the black. I also live on the Island Smithtown. Take Care Skip

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Great story & car !!
I almost bought a perfect orange gran Coupe with a 318 when I was young but the owner changed his mind & would not sell .
I bought a 70 Challenger R/T instead restored with a rebuilt 440 the idiots picked all the right parts as the best it ever ran was 14.96 , they had detuned the 440 down to stock 383 spec & worse apparently .

Back