• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello From NJ

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I would like to introduce myself. My name is Phil. I have been interested in Mopars ever since the mid '80s. I have a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe. Originally a 318 2BBL car with an automatic the previous owner switched to a 440 4 speed. Also I just bought a car from my brother. It is a 1970 Challenger convertible. It is one of 66 produced with a 340 4speed. The original owner drove it until 1984 then gave it to her brother (or possibly brother in law). He let the car sit outside for 20 years but never touched it. Then my brother got it and stored it inside. A few weeks ago he sold it to me. The original owner did check off some cool options like dual exhaust(which is still on the car), rallye gauges, flip top gas cap, and front disc brakes but unfortunately got a manual top. The bad news is the engine is seized up really bad. I put some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders but it is still frozen. The car is like a beat up time machine although I am surprised the body isn't worse than it is.

Those are my cars. My two favorite shows are Carlisle and the Mopar Nationals in Ohio. Hopefully they have them this year. I am looking forward to learning some more about these cars. I know a little but I know there is a lot more to learn. Thanks.

Than

Rich G.

Reaction score
Welcome, I have a 70 340 convertible too in NJ. Maybe we’ll meet one day.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I am in central NJ just off exit 8 on the TPK. Rich, that would be great.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Phil
:welcome: to FEBO
I am also in New Jersey and also own An A66 vert.
How about some pics of the cars?
Great to hear about two other A66 verts in our state.(Brice & Rich)
I facilitate the Challenger A66 Registry; keeping stats on our cars. Hope you add your info to the Registry.
I am also a “Phil”
Welcome again.
There is also a sticky thread here on FEBO Dedicated to our A66 Challengers under General,Topics.
Registry Forms can be found at;
1970 Challenger 340 a66 info - figures - registry

Last edited:

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Phil, I will register my car when I have some time. I have never heard of this designation A66. Do all '70 340 cars have it? I looked at the Fender tag and there is a spot where it looks like it might say A66 but only the middle 6 is crystal clear. I will post some pictures when I have time. What I do know for sure is that my car is untouched since 1984. Unfortunately, it has plain jane 14" wheels with hub caps. I wish the person who bought it would have ordered nicer wheels. Same thing for a Bumble Bee stripe.

Thank you for the welcome.
Phil

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome from Panama Phil , it seems you have 2 of the best E bodies , I could have met you at Carlisle this year but it won;t happen with travel being nearly impossible .

340challconvert

Reaction score
Phil
All 1970 340 cars are designated as A66 Challengers with the package introduced in late September 1969 with specific options; 340 engine, RT hood, HD brakes and suspension, the bumble bee stripe and bee decals on the rear windows and the wheel lip molding deleted. Initially the 15 inch rally wheels were standard along with the collapsible spare (required at extra cost) with those items shortly becoming optional later in the model run.

Essentially, An A66 Challenger was an RT Challenger with a small block 340 and a JH serial code rather then the JS that an RT Challenger would have.

Phil, I will register my car when I have some time. I have never heard of this designation A66. Do all '70 340 cars have it? I looked at the Fender tag and there is a spot where it looks like it might say A66 but only the middle 6 is crystal clear. I will post some pictures when I have time. What I do know for sure is that my car is untouched since 1984. Unfortunately, it has plain jane 14" wheels with hub caps. I wish the person who bought it would have ordered nicer wheels. Same thing for a Bumble Bee stripe.

Thank you for the welcome.
Phil

340challconvert

Reaction score
Phil
You already know that the A66 Challenger convertibles (JH27) with a 4 speed are very rare with only 66 produced as you stated above out of a total run of 264 cars.
I would definitely try to work to save the original engine.
Good luck with her.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Yes Phil, I would very much like to save the original engine. I sprayed Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders. I don’t want to force it. Still no luck though. My next step will be to take off the heads. The encouraging thing is the 35 year old oil looks like it is only a few months old. So no water got in the engine. I will also prime the motor as if it were new. I figure it can’t hurt to get some oil in all the bearings.

Some of the VIN tag is hard to read. I don’t see any evidence that the car had the stripe but I haven’t found the stripe delete code yet. I might add one though. I plan to keep it 98% original. Other than the stripe I would like to add nice factory wheels and that’s it keep everything else original.

The car was originally painted Light blue metallic with a blue interior. I wish they would have chosen B5 blue but I will keep the color original.

Phil

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome from Little Rock! Look forward to seeing the progress.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
34975B03-9B9F-4BE2-87A7-FA6E2D823298.jpeg
Thank you for the warm welcome guys. Here is the A66 Challenger. Definitely pretty rough but all there. It’s been a help to me on my other car. I really wish I could get it running but the engine is still seized. When I get time I will pull off the heads to try to break her loose.

Back