• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi conversion

ebody70

Reaction score
Hi Guys, im putting a 426 hemi in my Cuda conv. it currently has a 340 with a 4 speed . Has anyone ever done this swap ? Im gonna use factory exhaust manifolds and im also curious if the engine can be installed with the manifolds on it ? Iwould also like to put this in from the top and i wonder if thats feasible . if you have done this swap and dont mind sharing the info i would love to hear from you . thanks Jim

moparleo

Reaction score
It will be 10 X's easier from the bottom. That way you install the engine and suspension complete in one shot. That is the way the factory did it. Nothing in the way. You can use an engine hoist ( cherry picker ) if you don't have access to a lift.

If not done already, I would highly recommend that you weld in a good set of subframe connectors. Too much torque for a stock 40 plus year old uni-body.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , I have done numerous installs from the bottom far simpler to do this way manifolds on steering all to gether & in place just connect the lower ball joints to the spindles

moper

Reaction score
They can't go in with both the exh manifolds on from the top as far as I'm aware. I think the LH one has to be off. If you have the room it would be easier to drop the driveline out the bottom on the K frame, then swap to the Hemi stuff, then reinsall it. You'll need a few dollies, an engine lift, and a 2 car garage or so...

Back