• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Here We Go Again: Six Pack Questions

wedg2go

Reaction score
Some time ago I was looking for a throttle base for one of the outboards. I found one, on a local auction site, purchased it and discovered my throttle plates did not fit - which I am going to say right here and now I thought was weird. Especially since, I'm no novice to rebuilding carbs and since the base numbers were the same! So, I sent it back and they chose to make it right by, I'm assuming, honing out their base to make the plates fit. Just one problem...The plates stick. BTW - I cleaned the base thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air since I found gunk stuck in the idle passages from honing the base.

Question 1.) Is there a way to alleviate this sticky problem that I'm not seeing? Can I expect this to wear in after some use? No fun to tap the outboards and find the 440 stumbling or back firing and yes...The throttle plates are installed correctly.

During my rebuild of the "Three Amigos" I discovered that Holley uses cork around the idle screws to keep in check - I assume - the travel of the idle screws in the throttle base (outboards) and the block (inboard). For the life of me, I can't remember having that in the "few" Holleys I built in the 70's. None the less. my idle adjustment screws, on the outboards, exceed the edges of the cork. In other words, the idle screws are in deep and the cork is not touching the idle screws.

Question 2.) Are these silly cork thing-a-ma-bobs really necessary on the outboards? My idle screws don't wobble, with one turn out, and it seems to be fine. Am I right in thinking this or perhaps do I have the wrong cork for these smaller idle adjustment screws?

My whole reason, that started this whole adventure of removing the carbs and rebuilding, was simply because I needed to thin out the cruise/wot mixture by re-jetting the carbs. The car came from sea level to it's new home 7500 above sea level. So re-jetting was necessary. Especially, when the plugs were showing black. I believe I now have my inboard carb jet size correct. Exhaust is showing grayer (I haven't had a chance yet to pull a plug). I took into consideration going from sea level to 7500' and deducted one jet size per 2000'. I pulled a .062 from the inboard and replaced it with a .060. Seems fine. However, those pesky outboards might be a problem since I pulled .076 and went .074...Too lean? I have made the rounds and found, on other sites, six pack owners going .080+. BTW - Since cam has some to do with jetting, I run a Comp Cam based on these specs. Xtreme Energy 236/242 Hydraulic Roller Cam (3 Bolt) for Chrysler 383-440

So....

Last question (which is really more of a poll) What is your elevation and what jet size do you run on your outboards (& cam size if you know off hand)?

Thanks in advance! :)

dadeo1852

Reaction score
1)Were you aware of the different throttle plates referenced in the attached or go to this site.
The 6 Bbl tips
I had a throttle plate issue on the rear outboard not wanting to close completely and wound up loosening the throttle plate screws and re-centering them. I realize this is a different issue than yours.
2) I believe the cork serves 2 purposes, prevents vacuum leaks and prevents rotating idle screws with vibration. Anyways, I attached a pic of mine. I'd just push in another piece of cork and leave the one that's there alone.
3)Running 82's in my outboard carbs @650 ft above sea level, no issues. Hughes HEH2328BL cam.
six pack.JPG
IMG_20191119_091412611.jpg

Back