• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hi Guys , 5-6 speed 1970 hemicuda , help needed

Reaction score
hi guys , starting a restoraton job on my new project a 70 hemicuda , orgnaly a 340 4 speed car , now going to be a 426 hemi - 5-6 speed - Dana 60 rear end , but i dont know where to start , theres so many trannys , and i dont mind cutting the floors they need to be changed anyway , i knew i guy that swapped an lx 5.0 mustang tranny to a 416 stroker and he ran this thing like crazy and it worked very well and didnt spend that much.. all the kits i see are 4-5000k , and theres no way im paying that much..already the gen 2 hemi wll cost me close to 20k. need youre help and advices guys !!! thx a lot

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 71 cuda with a 472 crate hemi and put in a Kiesler 5 speed. It is a tremic. I bought it when it was about 3 grand with all the necessary gear. My car was an original stick so I had the hurst and clutch pedal. You need Bell housing, GM clutch, ball bearing pilot and the cost of tranny , so you can see it adds up.

Adam

Reaction score
My Challenger was a 340/4 spd car; since the original drive train was gone I put in a 440 with Tremec 5 spd, TKO 600 I think.. anyway, I did not have to cut the floor at all. It was a little tight in one spot on the passenger side of the tunnel near the front of the trans, but I put a pry bar up there and just pushed the tunnel out about 1/2 inch in that spot. Easy.

Also, I went with a hydraulic clutch, also very easy.

cdummer43

Reaction score
Went through Silver Sport Transmission for the Tremec TKO 600 for a little over $3k and source all the other parts from other vendors that were willing to work with me.

David B

Reaction score
I will be replacing my 4 speed manual with a Tremec 5 speed manual (supposed to fit without modifying the tunnel, firewall or floor) but need to buy a bellhousing. Don't think I will need the shatterproof kind. Any recommendations. 1970 Barracuda with 340 4-speed manual located in Jacksonville FL.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Tremec has different bolt pattern so you may have to spend about $300 for a new one. I haven't seen any used. The one I bought has A833 pattern and tremec.

David B

Reaction score
I understand that the engine end must be for MOPAR and the xmission end must be for a Ford. Sound wright?

Back