• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How do I remove trim to replace speaker fader switch?

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 70 Challenger S/E that I'm trying to install the speaker fader switch. The mounting hole is located on the trim above the radio just under the instrument cluster. Can someone tell me how to remove that trim or gain access to that spot? What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks a million.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
That's the whole gauge bezel. To remove it I know the light bar and switch panel have to come off to get to some screws. The steering column probably has to be dropped. I don't know if you can gain access by just removing the radio though. I've removed my rallye dash a few times so it's probably the same. Edit: picture taken from the web.

StdDashSE_fader.png

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Thanks. I've never dropped a steering column before. Sounds like a lot of work just to put that switch in. It's not even going to be functional. It's just for looks. My AM radio isn't functional either. I'm running a Kenwood Bluetooth amp to listen to tunes from my phone.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Dropping the steering column is pretty easy to do. Loosen the 3 bolts on the floor then spin down the 2 bolts from the studs on the dash frame. Those may or may not have to come completely off for clearance. If it's just for looks I wouldn't bother, especially since you don't have a factory stereo. I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think you were even able to get more than 1 speaker with an original AM radio. So, having a hole there throws me off.

pschlosser

Reaction score
You can finesse the wood-grained cover off the cluster, without dropping the steering column. But the chance of scratching the wood grain or other precious surface is greater. If you drop the column, its less worry and the task goes a bit faster.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Dropping the steering column is pretty easy to do. Loosen the 3 bolts on the floor then spin down the 2 bolts from the studs on the dash frame. Those may or may not have to come completely off for clearance. If it's just for looks I wouldn't bother, especially since you don't have a factory stereo. I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think you were even able to get more than 1 speaker with an original AM radio. So, having a hole there throws me off.
I am not sure about a '70, but in '71 you could get the AM radio with a rear speaker fader switch.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Hmmm... what about a 70 SE? Did it have the fader switch? I'll look at the steering column as you suggested and also see how the wood grain cover is mounted. And I thought this would be easy peasy haha. Thanks!

Dons R/T

Reaction score
My friend was able to reach over the top of the steering column behind the dash from the far side and hold it in place while putting the nut on from the outside.

Back