• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to bypass clutch safety seitch

DustyDave

Reaction score
How can I bypass the clutch safety switch? I have a 73 Cuda, which I assume this, which is going bad on. It never wants to start unless like push the clutch in a couple times. I would just like to bypass it before it strands me.

Reaction score
On the starter relay disconnect the green wire (pretty sure it's green) and make a jumper wire from the terminal on the relay to a known good ground, that will bypass the safety switch.
Make sure it's in neutral or clutch is depressed before starting.
This was discussed in an earlier thread search the past posts and you will find it

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Not really , if the yellow wire has power which it should the green wire to the clutch switch is the ground circuit , , the actually relay could be a problem though .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This is a point that is overlooked. there are 2 circuits in the starter relay circuit. there are 2 grounds. Look at the relay and nose of the starter. in 1st picture shows ground. Clutch pedal completes one ground for the relay to function. Then the relay completes the circuit to the starter solenoid and battery ground. The relay housing has to have a ground to work. The mounting bolt can be the problem. There are two different relays manual and automatic.
If it is a manual car then "G" is folded over and attached to the case.
"G" is where the neutral safety switch yellow wire plugs into
they are the same but configured different. Early cars wouldn't have manual and auto difference because no safety switch on clutch pedal

Mopar Starter Relay.jpg

mopar relay config.jpg

starter-solenoid-wiring--starter-relay-diagram-003.jpg

Starter relay SR6570.jpg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Until 69 manual trans cars just grounded to the body of the relay through the mounting bolts , in 70 up they isolated the ground & used the Automatic style relay & grounded either through the neutral safty switch if auto or the cluth switch if standard so from 70 up the mounting bolts make no difference , you can hold the relay in your hand & it works fine

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Until 69 manual trans cars just grounded to the body of the relay through the mounting bolts , in 70 up they isolated the ground & used the Automatic style relay & grounded either through the neutral safty switch if auto or the cluth switch if standard so from 70 up the mounting bolts make no difference , you can hold the relay in your hand & it works fine
If I recall right the Ground tab is bent over to the case to complete the ground for the relay. Correct if I'm wrong. the point being it has to be grounded somehow. Not sure what years did it.

moparroy

Reaction score
How can I bypass the clutch safety switch? I have a 73 Cuda, which I assume this, which is going bad on. It never wants to start unless like push the clutch in a couple times. I would just like to bypass it before it strands me.
Replace it before you run into garage door lol

Back