• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ignition Miss Fire

moparnut74

Reaction score
Hello. I get a miss with hard acceleration. It seems like an ignition miss or carb issue ????

Help, thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
I looked back at your previous posts on this problem, and it seems that you ask for advice both from the forum and from Holley but don't choose to follow it. We are glad to help, if you really want our help, but please listen to the members or nobody will want to spend time on your questions.
Ready to try again.

Last edited:

moparnut74

Reaction score
Hello again. Sorry Leo, i'm not a mechanic..I do read the posts. Just trying to get the car running right. Thanks. Had the carb set up, float levels adjusted, timing is back to "0" with a Rev-N-Ator box installed. Running original Mopar distributor. I get a hesitation and/or miss fire on heavy acceleration. Increased squirter size to a .35 on secondaries.

Running a Holley 750 double pumper.

Distributor/ Ignition issue ? Should I go with an MSD E-Curve...

Thanks !!!

moparleo

Reaction score
Does the hesitation happen when you accelerate from a stop or when you are going, say 45 mph ? Do you drive like this all the time ? Do you have a standard transmission or automatic ? You say timing is 0" Is this before you start the car or when it is idling? Is there a performance shop in your area? If so have you taken your car there to be inspected?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
timing should be up around 12-16* at idle
throwing more $ at it will probably get you nowhere , you need to get everything adjusted / Tuned

Last edited:

moparnut74

Reaction score
Hello. I have an automatic transmission. My timing is "0" at idle. I like to drive the vehicle fairly hard. The problem occurs when you are accelerating up around 45 mph or faster. It's like a miss fire on acceleration. It's okay from a stop and then gets progressively worse. There is a performance shop in Brantford which is 30 miles away. Thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
Like Chryco Psycho says, the timing at idle should be in the 12-16 degree range. This is with the vacuum advance disconnected. Also are you using a standard point type ignition or electronic? You need to develop a baseline tune. Then you make changes one at a time to see the result. That will help you to determine what direction to go in. You need to start with a good timing light. Inductive type with adjustable timing would be the best. Next a good vacuum gauge and tach/dwell meter. These are common and should be reasonably priced. These will see lots of use in the future, so learn to use them well.

Back