• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing distributor and setting timing

mopar70

Reaction score
1970 challenger 383. I need help installing my distributor and setting the timing. Motor did not have a distributor in it so Im starting from scratch.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Get the number 1 cylinder to tdc on a compression stroke. Easiest way to do this is by pulling that spark plug and holding your finger over the hole while turning the engine over from the starter relay. When you feel the puff of air hit your finger this means that the Piston is on its way up and both valves are closed. At this point you can now turn your attention to the timing mark on the damper and slowly click the engine over some more until the timing mark gets on or close to the 0. At this point aim the rotor toward the tower of the number one spark plug wire on the cap and hold it there as you lower the distributor into the hole. Keep in mind that the number 1 plug wire is facing more towards the intake than the alternator. Set the distributor in as far as it will go and if still not seated give the rotor a little twist in both directions until it seats the rest of the way. At this point you can put the plug back in, wire it up and fire it up and use the timing light to set the timing. Don't forget the clamp. This is also assuming the distributor drive gear is already in the engine. If this is a new engine that hasn't been fired yet you'll want to prime it first.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Very concise description of reinstalling the distributor.
I needed the mental update of this process.
It has been 35 years since I have done this, so this is a good guideline reminder.
Boy, are my skills rusty!
Dino2 (1).gif

Adam

Reaction score
In addition to what DetMatt said I like to set the Balancer timing mark at about 10 degrees before TDC. Then after the distributor is installed I hook up a timing light and with the ignition on turn the dist towards #1 until it fires. Engine should be really close and fire right up.

mopar70

Reaction score
Thanks guys I got a pretty good idea now. So I turn the distributor towards number one cylinder? Do I make the vacuum advance line up with cylinder one?

Adam

Reaction score
That is as good a place as any, but it technically does not matter where the Vac can points, just so it clears everything... you can put the dist in any way just as long as 1. it fully engages the dist drive gear, and 2. the rotor points to #1 when the balancer is near TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure the rest of the plug wires are in the correct order and in the correct direction; big block dists rotate in the opposite direction of small blocks.

When you use a timing light to check the firing, as I mentioned above, the vac canister will end up where it needs to be as it is bolted to the housing which needs clearance to rotate fore & aft a little, to set the timing.

Last edited:
Back