• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Intake and Shaker Hood Clearance Question

DaveH

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on a fact finding mission. I have converted my 71 Challenger to a Shaker car and in doing the research a while ago regarding what intake would fit under the shaker a lot of people said that the LD340 would work and that I would have the proper hood clearance. So I found a great one had it power coated and I thought I was good. I thought it made sense since it was a stock manifold. Now I'm hearing mixed reactions.

Can anyone tell me if I will have clearance issues with the shaker hood closing if I use the LD340. If I will what aftermarket intake will work? I'm getting ready to assemble the engine and it's out of the car so I would rather know sooner than later. Thanks for your help.

I just measures with a straight edge across the top of the intake and it measures 5-1/8" at it highest point.

BTW - I'm using an Edelbrock Thunder series carb.

Dave

Last edited:

Racer57

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on a fact finding mission. I have converted my 71 Challenger to a Shaker car and in doing the research a while ago regarding what intake would fit under the shaker a lot of people said that the LD340 would work and that I would have the proper hood clearance. So I found a great one had it power coated and I thought I was good. I thought it made sense since it was a stock manifold. Now I'm hearing mixed reactions.

Can anyone tell me if I will have clearance issues with the shaker hood closing if I use the LD340. If I will what aftermarket intake will work? I'm getting ready to assemble the engine and it's out of the car so I would rather know sooner than later. Thanks for your help.

I just measures with a straight edge across the top of the intake and it measures 5-1/8" at it highest point.

BTW - I'm using an Edelbrock Thunder series carb.

Dave
I can't give you any part recommendations, but I can tell you from experience with my Cuda that not every car has the engine and/or hood sitting the exact same heights. 1/4 - 1/2in will make a difference and can be fixed with spacers if the shaker is too low. I suggest that you start with a stock intake manifold just sitting in place (maybe a couple bolts snugged down) and go from there. Then you will have the figures you need to determine what intake you can use to get that exact fit. Btw, you want the bottom open slot of the shaker even with the edge of the hood opening. At least that's where mine is because that's what everyone told me. It does look correct though. :D

Back