• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just registered to e bodies

Bill

Reaction score
Hello. I purchased a 73 Challenger Rallye with a 340 4 speed. I have a question about conecting the frame rails. I purchased a couple of 1-1/2 x 3" steel to make up some frame rail connectors. The car is currently on a rotisserie that I built a few months ago. I'm not going to drag this car or beef up the motor. Do you think it is worth it to build a set of frame rails for the car even though I am not going to have a 500 HP motor in it? I may want to light the tires up every now and then but I am not going to have a big HP motor. I know not to install the frame rails until the car is back on its wheels. Any thoughts? 061.jpg001.jpg025.jpg020.jpg013.jpg

025.jpg

061.jpg

001.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Anything you can do to stiffen up the chassis is a plus. The car will ride and handle better. Eliminate creeks and popping sounds. The uni-body is now over 40 years old and the original spot welds were never intended to work that long.
Do it.
Oh and welcome to the site!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
WOW... An answer already. I have a feeling I am going to be spending a lot of time at these forums. Thanks for the reply! I am thinking of cutting a slot in the rear floor and "flanging" it to the connector. Don't really know if anyone will ever, ever sit in the rear seats and if they do they will just have to deal with the bar in the floor. I think this way will give me better grouind clearance vs. having them "hug" the floor under the car??
The car spent it's life in New Hampshire so there is not much metal left in the frame rails in some places either. Can't wait to get that pistol grip in my hand again after I sold my B body back in 1979.
Thanks again!
Bill (Vermont)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
IMO if the car never had any rust issues and is a hardtop and is being rebuilt to stock or close to stock specs, the frame connectors shouldn't be necessary. That being said, Leo is on the money about the advantages you will gain from them. If you didn't put them on I would say you would probably never wonder why you didn't if you are truely just cruising the streets for pleasure.

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Bill.

Matt and Leo are both right. Street driven the connectors aren't necessary, but you'll notice a dramatic improvement in the way the car handles, stops, rides. It's an inexpensive improvement, worth it in my opinion, especially since you have the car prepped to put 'em in already.

Do it and don't look back.

Bill

Reaction score
Thank you Robert. I will start on them ASAP. I think I will cut the floor and weld to the "new" floor pan to help make things stiffer instead of "hugging" the floor pan then angeling up to the crossmember.
I'm all "giddy"! I feel like I just found a bunch of new friends that are all on the same page as I am.
Thanks so much for all your replys! I'm sure I will have 100's of questions before the car is done.
Bill

Welcome aboard, Bill.

Matt and Leo are both right. Street driven the connectors aren't necessary, but you'll notice a dramatic improvement in the way the car handles, stops, rides. It's an inexpensive improvement, worth it in my opinion, especially since you have the car prepped to put 'em in already.

Do it and don't look back.

Back