• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

looking for kill switch

Avalanche

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a kill switch in my 70 challenger with electronic ignition.
Can someone recomend what would work.
Thanks

moparleo

Reaction score
You need to do 2 things. First, get the inside hood release from a new Challenger to prevent someone from opening your hood from the outside and bypassing a kill switch. Second, decide if want a compltete alarm set-up, or just a toggle switch.
You can get alarm set ups for under $100.00 .

Adam

Reaction score
You can easily install a hidden kill switch inside your car. In one of my cars (a Ford) I cut the Ignition starter wire in the column harness spiced in some long wires and added in a hidden toggle switch. the switch must be on to enable cranking; on another I plumbed in an extra switch to the neutral safety switch. This one is a common brake light switch mounted on the emergency brake pedal; to start the car must be in neutral and the E-brake must be off or the car thinks its in gear and will not crank. You could put a hidden switch in the neutral safety switch in an Auto trans car too... using the center wire(?) off the three prong switch...These seem overly simplistic but I know a lot of guys don't have the skills to run down a NSS problem.

moparleo

Reaction score
The reason I recommend an inside hood release( I don't think they came on the 1970) is that these have old school ignition systems. You can put all the kill switches you want but if all they have to do is have a piece of wire with alligator clips on both sides to jump power from the battery to the coil, they won't work. Now newer cars with electronic ignitions and computers are a little more complicated......

Avalanche

Reaction score
The reason I recommend an inside hood release( I don't think they came on the 1970) is that these have old school ignition systems. You can put all the kill switches you want but if all they have to do is have a piece of wire with alligator clips on both sides to jump power from the battery to the coil, they won't work. Now newer cars with electronic ignitions and computers are a little more complicated......

That's a good idea.
Will a any year newer challenger hood release work ?
Is it just the cable mechanism, or do you need the latch also?
Thanks,
Fred

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I put an inline fuse with a slo-blow 30 amp fuse in place of my bad fusible link. Just remove the fuse sort of acts as a low buck kill switch. I did this not for the benefit of a kill switch, I just didn`t want to spend the $20 at Year One for their link, but I do like the idea of being able to pull the fuse for a little extra protection.

moparleo

Reaction score
True, but you have to open the hood to do it. If you have an inside hood release, you just lock the door. If someone really wants to steal your car, they probably won't have to start it. Tow truck anyone?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Or just use a micro switch to ground the - coil wire to the tach , no hot wire bypass will make it start hood open or closed

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Diagram ?
there is a wire to the tach , grey I recall , jump splice or solder a wire into this lead , run it to a hidden switch & from the switch to ground , this will prevent most ign from sending spark except MSD with a seperate signal for the tach

Avalanche

Reaction score
Ok, but I have a standart cluster with no tach.
If I add an aftermarket tach will this still work?
Thanks

As you can read, I'm not an engine guy, more of a body man.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
no prob , you can run a wire off the negative coil terminal directly to the switch & ground it through a hidden switch , no tach needed

73 kooda

Reaction score
What about running a switch between your ammeter????.... If that isn't connected, you aint gettin power to anything! Or am i wrong and can you still bypass it... My experience is yes if they want your car, theyre gonna get it..these are to keep the 17 yr old with a screwdriver from stealing it!

Back