• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lower with drop spindles ?

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
San Jose, CA (previously known as prune-ville)
I am rebuilding the steering / suspension on my 1970 challenger. Question is since I am putting a new steering box from firm-feel ( stage 3 ) and rebuilding the front end - should I just bite the bullet and get drop spindles or not? I like the look of a low front end - but is it worth the cash, and what are the drawbacks or other choices.

Opinions please !

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it is a good way to go from the point of allowing the full suspension travel & adjustment with a lower stance . you can lower the carby undoing the T bar adjusters but before you drop very much the bottom out bumpers get close to the frame .

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Chryco & Leo.

Whats your thoughts on tubular upper control arms ?

I have also toyed with the idea of a tubular k-member with coil-overs - a bit pricey though, and not sure it is worth it in the long-run, but by the time I do the steering box, drop spindles, rebuild the front end and maybe add tubular control arms - it is getting close to the tubular set-up.

So many choices.......

Thanks for ANY thoughts, ideas

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well I think the Hotchkis Uppers are the best design going , some have had failures near the welds so be careful of that .
as far as tubular K frames , I actually prefer the T bar as the weight is low & in the best place for wieght from a handling point of view but apparently you can achieve greater spring rates using coil overs then even the biggest T bars produce which I find hard to believe given the 1.25 T bars we installed did not flex at all , it rode like a farm wagon , only the tire sidewall was flexing , this may be OK for 200 MPH banked corners at Daytona or Talledaga , but it is over kill for the street by a long shot . the biggest issue with rack & pinion front steer K frames is the spindle , some are welded & scary light you want a HD spindle for street abuse & reversing the Mopar spindle doesn't work , IMO the best system is the Alter-K-tion , I do like the CAP system also as it retains the T bars.
Do your home work !!

moparleo

Reaction score
It really depends on what you are going to drive your car. Just like your driving style will dictate what type of tires or shocks or engine setup you use . there are many options for the front suspension on your car. Hotchkis is bullet proof , but if you are a cruiser and want to upgrade, update your suspension, Tubular upper a-arms are available from several companies. They are generally stronger and allow for more camber and caster adjustment than stock which is lacking. Steering wise, Firm Feel has excellent quality parts and are very popular. The main reason for the coil spring versus torsion bar is that there are unlimited rates and lengths of coil springs and using a lower a-arm has less flex than the single lower control arm, strut rod setup.Also frees up the area occupied by the torsion bar and rear bar mount for any custom work you might want to do. Like chryco says, do your home work. Write down what you want to achieve and figure out a plan to do it.

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
Thanks Chryco and leo for your feedback - it is very helpful.

Like leo said "there are many options for the front suspension on your car" - I am trying to avoid buying front end parts as I go - then finding out I should have just bite the bullet and bought the whole Alter-K-tion thing in the first place.

BTW, I AM doing my homework - I joined a online forum with like-minded people who are more experienced with this than I am. :)

Back