• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar 383 Questions

Fordication

Reaction score
Ok so starting the thread again. Mopar 383, all of the codes I mentioned finally made sense after I looked at the block yesterday. The stamped numbers on that boss were F383 12 2 2 HP. So based on that information the engine came out of a B Body car from 1970 as from my reading the C Body cars did not have HP engines. I assume that is correct but do not know if its factual. Based on those numbers I think I do want to rebuild this engine if possible. If the cylinder has to be sleeved, is that bad?

Fordication

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a sleeve if done properly
Thank you. I am going to talk to my local shop in a few days about it. I really want to use this block even though its not numbers matching. I wonder whose car it came out of and if the car is still on the road.

70chall440

Reaction score
I believe that some C bodies did get HP stamped engines, you have to remember that in production a block is a block and while the muscle car people might get excited if they didn't have the "HP", the C body owners probably would never know or care. That said, an HP block is no different than a non HP block, it was the internals that made the difference and since you are rebuilding anyway it doesn't matter.

moparleo

Reaction score
It depends on the reason it needs a sleeve. Cracked? Bored too far oversized ? rust pitted ?... The more it is bored, the less stiffness you have in the cylinder bores which effects power potential. I f it is for a cruiser, as long as there is no unseen damages and it has not been bored to death, sleeving done properly works just fine.

Fordication

Reaction score
Thanks. Just talk to the builder and for that engine with stock rebuild $2500 with a sleeve and $2400 without a sleeve. If I supply the parts I want and have the heads ported and polished we have to talk he said. I would want to rebuild with a bigger cam and roller rockers if available. I know aluminum heads are the way to go but I think I will just upgrade the intake to a better intake and the internals to better more advanced parts. To be honest, I am getting ahead of myself. I have a ton of other work that is more important than the engine I have to do and I have to sell one of my mustangs as well. Wife said I am spending to much.
It depends on the reason it needs a sleeve. Cracked? Bored too far oversized ? rust pitted ?... The more it is bored, the less stiffness you have in the cylinder bores which effects power potential. I f it is for a cruiser, as long as there is no unseen damages and it has not been bored to death, sleeving done properly works just fine.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Plymouth had the Super Commando , Dodge had the Magnum& Chrylser had the TNT & yes Chrysler did get performance engines .
I would use a stroker kit from 440 Source & build a 432 ci , basically a 440 with lighter internals no one will be able to tell from the outside & the build will not really cost anymore then reworking the stock internals .

Fordication

Reaction score
Plymouth had the Super Commando , Dodge had the Magnum& Chrylser had the TNT & yes Chrysler did get performance engines .
I would use a stroker kit from 440 Source & build a 432 ci , basically a 440 with lighter internals no one will be able to tell from the outside & the build will not really cost anymore then reworking the stock internals .
I will look into this as well. Thanks

Back