• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar 400 Stroker

cuda496

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am building a 400 stroker, I have decided on 4.15 stroke ending up right around 496.

My question is who has the highest quality rotating kits out there for around $2500?

I am trying to keep the price around $2500. It will be ran on the street, with ideally around 10.5 compression on aluminum heads.

Thank You

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
First ... Welcome to the site.
The first thing I would do is talk to my engine builder. When I built my stroker (440 to 493) I looked at 440 Source and Muscle Motor's ,and they were the only two
in that price range. My builder was willing to use either one, but had a difference recommendation. He said that either supplier was ok , but both would need a little work before install. I used his setup, as He had done this many time before. and for about the same price... within $200 (they are a Mopar shop, but of course built other brands. I saw a Boss 429.. at least it was a hemi) The name of the shop I used is Strasburg Machine in Utah.
I hope this is of some help to you.

Just My 2 cents

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Good recommendation, talk to your builder first. If you don't have one. Do your research and find a shop to trust in. A lot of things go into a build and you need everything to work together. The builder and the total package are key to have a happy outcome. First determine exactly what you are expecting from the build. You can't have it all so make some decisions and communicate that with your builder.
Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure that other members will chime in.

cuda496

Reaction score
First ... Welcome to the site.
The first thing I would do is talk to my engine builder. When I built my stroker (440 to 493) I looked at 440 Source and Muscle Motor's ,and they were the only two
in that price range. My builder was willing to use either one, but had a difference recommendation. He said that either supplier was ok , but both would need a little work before install. I used his setup, as He had done this many time before. and for about the same price... within $200 (they are a Mopar shop, but of course built other brands. I saw a Boss 429.. at least it was a hemi) The name of the shop I used is Strasburg Machine in Utah.
I hope this is of some help to you.

Just My 2 cents

TC_Cuda Thanks for the welcome,
I am building this engine. It will not be the first one, hopefully my last. LOL. I suppose I was trying to get away without the "little additional work" being needed. I know everything should be checked and not used OOTB, but I feel I should be able to if I am spending $2500. I will continue to look around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your advise.

cuda496

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Good recommendation, talk to your builder first. If you don't have one. Do your research and find a shop to trust in. A lot of things go into a build and you need everything to work together. The builder and the total package are key to have a happy outcome. First determine exactly what you are expecting from the build. You can't have it all so make some decisions and communicate that with your builder.
Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure that other members will chime in.

Moparleo,
Thanks for the welcome. I will be building the engine myself. I was just trying to find the best rotating assembly for the money, seeing if anyone had recent experience. I have been looking through forum and reviews, the info is not consistent. Some good some bad on the same companies, however it is mostly dated around 2010. But as you and TC said, I will talk to the shop doing my block work and see if they have input on which cranks they find needing less work. I still have plenty of time, I just dropped the 400 block 1971 230 off to get it cleaned and magged to check for cracks.
Thank you for your Advice

IQ52

Reaction score
For the $2,500 budget they are all going to be the same quality and need to be checked carefully. I would just use the unbalanced 440 Source kit and have the pin fit checked and corrected and the assembly balanced by a good machine shop. More money available? Buy Molnar crank and rods and piece the rest of the assembly together and have it balanced.

cuda496

Reaction score
For the $2,500 budget they are all going to be the same quality and need to be checked carefully. I would just use the unbalanced 440 Source kit and have the pin fit checked and corrected and the assembly balanced by a good machine shop. More money available? Buy Molnar crank and rods and piece the rest of the assembly together and have it balanced.
Thanks IQ52,
Did some searching and apparently Molnar makes some pretty good stuff. I was leaning towards SCAT and would be spending about $1900 for the Crank, Rod and Pistons (ICON). Going Molnar would be about $1950 for crank, Rods and Pistons (ICON). Still waiting for the Machine shop to get back with me about the block though.
Thanks Again

cuda496

Reaction score
So just an Update. I went with Molnar on the Crank(4.15) and Rods(6.760). Icon Pistons(-23cc), King Bearings, Trick Flow 240 heads, Fi Tech Mean Street EFI. Still waiting for the machine work to get finished so I can pick the block up and assembly. And I haven't chose a Cam quite yet. I cant make up my mind. lol Trying to make myself buy TTI Headers, but dang they get expensive. But anyways, You all have a great April. Hopefully I will get a block done this month.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just make sure to give the machine shop your pistons before they are honed to size. No 2 pistons are exactly the same. Don't ask me how I know. Number the pistons to make sure they go into the fitted cylinder when you assemble. As far as the headers, don't cheap out now. If they are not in the budget, just wait until they are. You won't be sorry.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
So just an Update. I went with Molnar on the Crank(4.15) and Rods(6.760). Icon Pistons(-23cc), King Bearings, Trick Flow 240 heads, Fi Tech Mean Street EFI. Still waiting for the machine work to get finished so I can pick the block up and assembly. And I haven't chose a Cam quite yet. I cant make up my mind. lol Trying to make myself buy TTI Headers, but dang they get expensive. But anyways, You all have a great April. Hopefully I will get a block done this month.

Looks like your making good progress and, it sounds like a your building a nice one. I want to get FiTech EFI when money allows. Exactly which one did you get?
I am look at the 1200 hp unit. I don't have that much power but, I want room to grow and I want the built in NOS control and the only other one that comes with that is the 600 hp unit and that's not quite enough.

As for the expensive TTI exhaust... I though the same thing but, after fighting all the little things to get my 3" exhaust in I wish I had just spent the money and save myself some headache.

cuda496

Reaction score
Looks like your making good progress and, it sounds like a your building a nice one. I want to get FiTech EFI when money allows. Exactly which one did you get?
I am look at the 1200 hp unit. I don't have that much power but, I want room to grow and I want the built in NOS control and the only other one that comes with that is the 600 hp unit and that's not quite enough.

As for the expensive TTI exhaust... I though the same thing but, after fighting all the little things to get my 3" exhaust in I wish I had just spent the money and save myself some headache.

Ah I see, I figure I will go with TTI. I am just stingy with my money and hate seeing it go that way. I am fighting it, but know in the end with all the good advice I will go that direction. But I don't have to like it Damn It!!! LOL
I went with the Mean Street , up to 800hp. Doesn't have provisions for power adders, however my motor will only ever be NA. They said they 600HP would work just fine, but I figured the 800HP would make me feel better.

Thanks for the advice btw

cuda496

Reaction score
Just make sure to give the machine shop your pistons before they are honed to size. No 2 pistons are exactly the same. Don't ask me how I know. Number the pistons to make sure they go into the fitted cylinder when you assemble. As far as the headers, don't cheap out now. If they are not in the budget, just wait until they are. You won't be sorry.

Moparleo,

Shop has the pistons, so I am good there. I dropped off the entire rotating assembly a couple weeks ago for the balancing. It is coming along. I just need to get my but in gear an start getting the cuda ready. It still needs a lot of work. Nothing but fun. Funny thing is. Its been in my garage for 7 years. I haven't done much, In January my 14 yr. old daughter as when we were going to start working on it. That's what started all of this. I feel some how she thinks she will be driving it to High School. LOL

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
If your Daughter helps you work on it and, She has an interest in the car...maybe, just maybe, She could drive it to school on some special occasions

cuda496

Reaction score
If your Daughter helps you work on it and, She has an interest in the car...maybe, just maybe, She could drive it to school on some special occasions
LOL, that will be a hard one. But she does have me wrapped around her finger. I will consider it if she works REAL hard on the Cuda. LOL I am definitely going to have her at my side torqueing down some bolts on that engine.

cuda496

Reaction score
Just some pics of some parts
20170405_212208.jpg
20170405_212402.jpg
3.png
Resized_20170405_212217.jpeg
2.png

Back