• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

my new project 73 340 4 speed

racerkilla

Reaction score
this is only car my dad has held above my head for years... he hasn't wanted to do anything with it.. been sitting for 15 years in back of the shed with stuff piled on it... all my other cars are driver/show quality and ready to go. this has just been.. sitting for no reason.

long story short i get a call yesterday on my birthday from my dad on vacation and tells me my present in the 73 cuda and i can start doing whatever i choose on it.

took me all day to get it out from shed and running but it sounds good, its numbers matching 340 pistol grip 4 speed, 150 speedo, power brakes, steering, front rear sway. the 340 was done by him in later 80s and its very healthy. has a 200 shot of nitrous on it

frame is spotless, floors nice, needs 1/4 from rust in them (i have them already)

im gonna pull nose off, repaint engine bay and motor, new hoses brakes clutch etc.... and repaint the car removing vinyl top and adding billboard stripes.

but yea nice to call it fully mine. ill do it justice as i did my duster, amx, fastback cuda, vega and roadrunner

heres pics first time in light in 15 years

S5001892-Copy.jpg

S5001896-Copy.jpg

S5001899-Copy.jpg

S5001893-Copy.jpg

S5001897-Copy.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Nice birthday gift. As the owner of a '74 I've always had an affinity for the round taillights. And a 340/4-speed. Definitely can't go wrong there.

varlo

Reaction score
wow thats seriously is one of the best birthday gifts i have ever heard of.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Awesome gift!

Wow! Looks good already put some fresh gas in that puppy check the brakes and drive for the rest of summer then start resto in the fall.

Someone owes Dad a beer!

Bet it was worth the wait Congrats!

burdar

Reaction score
Are you going to paint it blue again? Make sure you look for build sheets when you take it apart. What's the SPD?

racerkilla

Reaction score
what do u mean by "whats the SPD"

i knew it was coming to me. my dad has his new things in life and these cars he has owned for 20 years and had his fun and no desire anymore...

he watched me build amx and purple formula s

he gave it to me becuase ill put my time, money and effort into keeping them all nice and going and if he wants to take one out for drive more power to him.

burdar

Reaction score
SPD= scheduled production date

It's a 3 digit code on the fender tag. The 1st digit is the month.(January=1 February=2......October=A November=B) The next two are the day. The door VIN sticker will also tell what month it was built.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Did I miss something Burdar how do you know it was blue? You learn something new everyday I didn`t know what S.P.D meant either. But ask my wife she knows what S.B.D means! :D I think she can cover her mouth and breath out her ears by now!

Last edited:

burdar

Reaction score
The vinyl top is missing right below the rear glass. You can see blue paint there.

Whenever I see someone with a 73 340 4-speed car, I ask about build sheets and what the SPD is. I found a build sheet in my Challenger for a 340 4-speed Cuda but not one for my car. Still hoping someone will find it in thier's. The sheet I have is for a JA5 coded car(dark silver metallic...same as my car)

Last edited:

racerkilla

Reaction score
yes the car was blue.. i actually tore that top off there after getting it out to see if there was any major rust around back window.only some suface.. the top was bad anyways

its not going back the original blue.. i like 70 b5 medium blue metallic or ev2 orange.

not 100 percent sure on route of the car, color wheels or anything. gonna make it how i want.

fiberglass painted bumpers, subframe connectors, new 1/4 panels...

prob be worth more back to factory but not planning on selling it. all the cars i own get driven alot.. and driven hard. im the person that will leave 1st and 2nd black marks leaving gas station or car show all the time.

heres a video of a 68 formula s cuda i paid 200 dollars, had 3701 miles and was a gutted racecar never finished in 1970. was a gutted shell and I restored entire thing. rebuilt 340 motor, 4 speed, 3.55 posi, 2x3 subframe connected, mini tubbed, caged, aluminum sheet metal floor, painted it my self. got it when i was 17 and was done at 19. proof the the 73 will be nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4XIl_d0RI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXPyC3q1iM

varlo

Reaction score
wow bro i love the cuda, actually all of your cars your very lucky

burdar

Reaction score
When you get around to removing the interior, make sure to look for build sheets. Let me know if you find any that are for a car other than yours.

Back