• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My Sad Tale!

RexDub

Reaction score
Figured I'd share this story from earlier today!

Today I went to perhaps purchase a 1974 Dodge Challenger with a 360 Engine, as we arrived I could see the 74 Challenger sitting in the back of this yard, as I drew closer I realized another car sitting in front of it, which just so happened to be one of the cars I had been searching for, for a very long time a 1970 Dodge Challenger 340 Scat pack car, I was so impressed so I decided to pry on the owner to sell me that car! column shift original green, but alas another "No, I'm going to restore it" as I could clearly tell from the amount of rust and holes in it. After about 20 Minutes of "No, No, No" I decided to at least give the 74 Challenger a once over. After looking at it I decided I was way more excited about the 70 then I had ever been over any car. Then the owner begins to talk about his other cars a "68 Camaro" *Yawn*, then he starts talking about a 440 Roadrunner immediately I had to see it.. stepped into his garage there it was, a plum Crazy original 383 Car with 440 engine (meh). Then he says "And in that room, my 1970 440 Challenger" My jaw hit the floor "No way" I thought to myself. Sure enough one glance, and here it was.. My dream car, right in front me. With piles of garbage stacked on top of it. "What a shame" I said to myself. An Original 1970 Dodge Challenger U code car, right there for the first time in front of me, immediately my entire focus was on that car! I wanted it, I began prying and prying, no budge what so ever.. as I stared at the car, it was just sitting there rotting and rusting away I couldn't help but get a little sad and incredibly disappointed. With a final " Are you sure nothing can change your mind on this car" his response still "No", I decided enough was enough and walked away, shook his hand, said thank you, and got in my Jeep.. Now I'm sitting here a little broken hearted and wishing that I could have said something more.. But he wanted to keep the beautiful car and use it as a shelf.. anyway thanks for reading. Thought I'd share. I'm not giving up on this car.. Ill keep bugging him and maybe one day..

- Rex

acguy

Reaction score
Reminds me of last summer I was driving this street and saw to tail end of a '69 charger with R/T badge on it. I stopped and asked the old man if I could look at his charger. It had a thick layer of dust and the plates expired in 1986. I wiped the dust of the corner of the windshield and read XS29J9. I said "this is a hemi charger" he said no, its a 383. When I kept looking at the vin he said "why do you keep looking at that?" I said because the vin says its a hemi car. He got mad at me and said he bought it new and he should know what engine it has. I asked him if he would sell it and he told me to leave.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Good stories to the both of you and I would keep revisiting these people. Don't let them forget about you, you never know, you may get a change of mind one day.

btceng

Reaction score
I have had so many of these experiences in the past several years. At the end of the day we have to just accept that the "junk" does belong to them. Sad isn't it? Last week I took my wife ans son to see a 1970 Barracuda that an old guy that lives close has. He actually used to have two of them. He used on for a work car and this one his daughter drove to college. He told of a coworker who begged him to sell the work car and he finally did. The guy immediately made it a dirt track car and wrecked it in its first race. This older gentleman says that he'll never sell this one because that first guy ruined the opportunity for all that comes after it. When asked what engine it has, he says "I can't remember if its a 318 or a 340, but I know its a hemi." Maybe an experimental 1 of 1! Just think, to be that passionate to have kept this plain Jane car in a garage for 40 years and not even know that much about it. It has a column shifter, bench seats and a 7 1/4 rear. He says it is probably that 340 hemi I because his daughter embarrassed a guy in a camaro one day coming home from school.

74 challenger

Reaction score
its sad because so many people say there going to restore them but the cars just sit there or you know they will never start because they have 7 cars and they say there restoring all of them.met a guy the other day and he pulled up in a modle t and showed me his cars and told me hes restoring 3 out off 5 cars and his kid was scraping metal when he wasnt looking,felt bad because he hade a dream and i just didnt see it happening.

RexDub

Reaction score
Reminds me of last summer I was driving this street and saw to tail end of a '69 charger with R/T badge on it. I stopped and asked the old man if I could look at his charger. It had a thick layer of dust and the plates expired in 1986. I wiped the dust of the corner of the windshield and read XS29J9. I said "this is a hemi charger" he said no, its a 383. When I kept looking at the vin he said "why do you keep looking at that?" I said because the vin says its a hemi car. He got mad at me and said he bought it new and he should know what engine it has. I asked him if he would sell it and he told me to leave.

Have you been back yet!? If I were you, I would go back and see him again, perhaps say something " I don't mean to be a bother sir, Mopars are just my passion" If the car is still sitting there ask him to sell it to you again. I know I'm not giving up on that challenger.. Its beautiful and I don't want to let it rot away.

RexDub

Reaction score
I have had so many of these experiences in the past several years. At the end of the day we have to just accept that the "junk" does belong to them. Sad isn't it? Last week I took my wife ans son to see a 1970 Barracuda that an old guy that lives close has. He actually used to have two of them. He used on for a work car and this one his daughter drove to college. He told of a coworker who begged him to sell the work car and he finally did. The guy immediately made it a dirt track car and wrecked it in its first race. This older gentleman says that he'll never sell this one because that first guy ruined the opportunity for all that comes after it. When asked what engine it has, he says "I can't remember if its a 318 or a 340, but I know its a hemi." Maybe an experimental 1 of 1! Just think, to be that passionate to have kept this plain Jane car in a garage for 40 years and not even know that much about it. It has a column shifter, bench seats and a 7 1/4 rear. He says it is probably that 340 hemi I because his daughter embarrassed a guy in a camaro one day coming home from school.

Perhaps this would be the time to pull out the old photo album show him your restorations and say something like " I can put this car back on the road if you give me the chance" photo's may be the way to persuade him in this instance?

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Another sad tale that we've all heard and most of us has experienced. Maybe hit him up down the line a litttle and see if he softens up.

RexDub

Reaction score
Another sad tale that we've all heard and most of us has experienced. Maybe hit him up down the line a litttle and see if he softens up.

I will and I certainly hope he does.. it would be a damn shame to lose that car.

Ray

Reaction score
I will and I certainly hope he does.. it would be a damn shame to lose that car.

Just take the max you want to spend in cash all twenties, it just looks like a lot more, and wave it at him and ask. Are you sure it's not for sale.

Bought more then a few cars in my lifetime from stubborn people like that. Money talks.

RexDub

Reaction score
Just take the max you want to spend in cash all twenties, it just looks like a lot more, and wave it at him and ask. Are you sure it's not for sale.

Bought more then a few cars in my lifetime from stubborn people like that. Money talks.

Perhaps your'e right

acguy

Reaction score
I went back a few months ago and wound up speaking to his neighbor. I told the neighbor that if he could talk to guy into selling me the car for a fair price I would give him a $1000.00 "finders fee"

RexDub

Reaction score
I went back a few months ago and wound up speaking to his neighbor. I told the neighbor that if he could talk to guy into selling me the car for a fair price I would give him a $1000.00 "finders fee"

How did that work out?

acguy

Reaction score
How did that work out?
He said he would talk to him. The guy was having a garage sale at the time and judging by what he was selling he seemed to be pretty broke. I think that if theres any chance that old man will let go of that car this guy will come through and call me.

RexDub

Reaction score
He said he would talk to him. The guy was having a garage sale at the time and judging by what he was selling he seemed to be pretty broke. I think that if theres any chance that old man will let go of that car this guy will come through and call me.

Hopefully that works out for you!

DetMatt1

Reaction score

Good idea, if anybody has a chance at it, it'll be you. As long as they are on speeking terms.

RexDub

Reaction score
I'm going to look at the U-code up close on friday, I'll get some pics for all of you :D hopefully

RexDub

Reaction score
Im going to see the u code on friday, then saturday Im probably buying a car! I'll keep everyone informed!

S-S-P

Reaction score
About 15 years ago I was on my way to pick up two parts car '70 Chargers in Nacagdoches (I live several hours west of there) and got lost on some secondary road and saw the taillights of a 70 Sat/RR/GTX back in some trees. I stopped and the wife of the owner let me look and it was a real V code 4speed car, but the original sixpack/engine and "hemi" 4speed were missing. There was a bbq on the hood and wooden crates on the roof, but was in decent overall condition... She said he would sell it and gave me his number.

I spoke to him twice. He agreed to sell me the car. Before I could get there to pick it up, he stopped answering his phone. Finally a couple weeks later I got the wife and she informed me that he had died.

Family talked her out of selling it.

Bastards...

RexDub

Reaction score
About 15 years ago I was on my way to pick up two parts car '70 Chargers in Nacagdoches (I live several hours west of there) and got lost on some secondary road and saw the taillights of a 70 Sat/RR/GTX back in some trees. I stopped and the wife of the owner let me look and it was a real V code 4speed car, but the original sixpack/engine and "hemi" 4speed were missing. There was a bbq on the hood and wooden crates on the roof, but was in decent overall condition... She said he would sell it and gave me his number.

I spoke to him twice. He agreed to sell me the car. Before I could get there to pick it up, he stopped answering his phone. Finally a couple weeks later I got the wife and she informed me that he had died.

Family talked her out of selling it.

Bastards...

That sucks man!

Back