• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy in NJ

Supernaut

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for having me!
Heres where it all started for me...
Back in around 1987 when I was in the 10th grade, the mother of a kid I went to school with had a '72-'74 (don't recall the exact year) light blue Barracuda she wanted to sell for $400. It was a running/driving car but having survived over a dozen eastern Long Island winters, was a little worse for the wear. I looked it over but politely declined; both because it needed work and because I knew my father wouldnt let me buy it. She then dropped the price to $200 and I still had to walk away from it.
This event has haunted me my entire life. I've had dozens of classics but I could never forgive myself for passing on that Barracuda.
Fast forward 37 years later...
I currently own an F8 green Challenger Scat Pack M6 and a '55 Chevy.
I took off from work this past Friday and walked up to a local restaurant with my wife for lunch. My wife is all too aware of my Barracuda obsession btw. We left the restaurant and walked back along the main strip in Bayonne NJ where we live and two blocks away come upon a local service station with a dark green '74 Barracuda sitting out front covered in dust & cobwebs missing a headlight.
I was absolutely shocked & excited, my wife was equally unimpressed.
I ran into the shops office and asked about it, expecting a "not for sale" response but the owner replied "sure it's for sale. My brother was the original owner and passed away." He went on "My sister in law wants it gone but can't find the title."
I wasn't about to let another Barracuda go, this one was a complete 318 factory ac car AND it was even in my color! The car had been stored in a Jersey City garage since 1986 and looked it. The underside is flawless, trunk pan is solid with factory green paint. 91k original miles. I struck a deal with the widow and bought it the next day. The shop owner even threw in four new Bridgestones and a delco battery. I checked the fluids and drove it 1-1/2 miles home. Its now safe and sound in my garage and I've gotten the ball rolling on getting a title.
After all these years, I can let the memory of the blue one from years ago finally rest.
20240503_132514.jpg
20240503_133001.jpg
20240503_134648.jpg
20240503_134656.jpg
20240503_151927.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nothing like being in the right place at the right time, congrats and welcome to the site from the Motor City!

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from another New Jerseyite.
(Born and raised in Hudson County myself- Jersey City/North Bergen)
Great story and Best of Luck with your Cuda!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Sweet score! Great looking car, especially for the east coast.
I see it's fender tag is no longer with it.
Did you get box's of parts with the car?
Does it retain it's broadcast sheet, since it is in such great shape I would assume yes. The brother had obviously taken good care of the ride.

Supernaut

Reaction score
Sweet score! Great looking car, especially for the east coast.
I see it's fender tag is no longer with it.
Did you get box's of parts with the car?
Does it retain it's broadcast sheet, since it is in such great shape I would assume yes. The brother had obviously taken good care of the ride.
The fender tag is missing and I believe the gentleman who owned it removed it. The two screws were reinstalled finger tight which at least suggests it wasn't stolen. I've asked the po's wife to keep an eye out for it. No box of parts unfortunately. I did get a notarized bill of sale and a "good luck"

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Probably in his tool box or hanging on the garage wall.
At least you got a "good luck" with the sale!!
Keep us posted , can't wait to see it all cleaned up!

Slug

Reaction score
Awesome, another ex jersey kid here. My grandfather owned a fish store on Jackson Ave(MLK blvd) in Jersey City. Good luck with the car

70survivor

Reaction score
Thats a great find bud. Welcome to the best E-body site!! We only live once and not for long > Have fun - Looks like a great head start of a project

Back