• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Member from CA, with 70 'Cuda 340

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Do I see a WC poking its nose end out of the garage?

DaveBob

Reaction score
Car sorta looks familiar. Bob, are you in SoCal?

Looks good!

If you are rebuilding the 340 or a 360 I’d go with a 4” stroke kit.

Just a simple way to get HP and TQ while being easy on valvetrain.

For engine building at the higher end look into QMP in Chatsworth. Brad started out working for Lambeck many years ago.

Hope to see you out at Willow Springs...:steering:

View attachment 74039

DaveBob

Reaction score
I am in So Cal. I'm guessing your initials are SW and you have more than a little to do with CPW?

Yes, I would like to run a stroker crank on the 340 rebuild. The piston speeds are elevated with the longer stroke, but making low rpm torque is good with the LA motor, given the poor valve train geometry. Of course, with more low rpm torque comes more low rpm HP, given that HP = (torque x rpm)/5252. I would also like to run a head with quench, versus an open valve pocket, and run a low deck height piston to have a zero deck height relative to the block to take advantage of the quench. I just don't know what aftermarket heads are available to do what I want and haven't investigated it much, yet. I have only seen that some of the dyno pulls with the Edelbrock heads haven't been too impressive.

autoxcuda

Reaction score
I am in So Cal. I'm guessing your initials are SW and you have more than a little to do with CPW?

Yes, I would like to run a stroker crank on the 340 rebuild. The piston speeds are elevated with the longer stroke, but making low rpm torque is good with the LA motor, given the poor valve train geometry. Of course, with more low rpm torque comes more low rpm HP, given that HP = (torque x rpm)/5252. I would also like to run a head with quench, versus an open valve pocket, and run a low deck height piston to have a zero deck height relative to the block to take advantage of the quench. I just don't know what aftermarket heads are available to do what I want and haven't investigated it much, yet. I have only seen that some of the dyno pulls with the Edelbrock heads haven't been too impressive.

Yes this is Steve.

Rob Troy?

Most aluminum aftermarket heads will get you quench. Air Flow Research seems to the latest and greatest in terms of quality and value in street like head.

What HP/TQ are you looking for?

It will be easy to build a 475-525 HP/TQ stroker with more power than your tires and chassis put down at Willow Springs.

I was able to dial in my quench with an off the shelf Scat stroker kit and simple Edelbrock heads. Mechanical cam with comp steel rocker for longevity and reliability.

DaveBob

Reaction score
Yes this is Steve.

Rob Troy?

Most aluminum aftermarket heads will get you quench. Air Flow Research seems to the latest and greatest in terms of quality and value in street like head.

What HP/TQ are you looking for?

It will be easy to build a 475-525 HP/TQ stroker with more power than your tires and chassis put down at Willow Springs.

I was able to dial in my quench with an off the shelf Scat stroker kit and simple Edelbrock heads. Mechanical cam with comp steel rocker for longevity and reliability.

DaveBob

Reaction score
I'm Dave. I don't even know a Rob Troy.

For the 475/525 combo, do you have any dyno pull data? What cam specs? What heads?

I haven't really thought about what power levels yet, or done much research, because I need to finish my brake conversion, do the five speed conversion (if/when I ever get to the top of Passon's waiting list for a five speed), and get my Power Wagon running. I suppose if I found a 70 E-body missing its original 340, I would get motivated and find the time, since there would be a home for the extra motor and the need to get the original motor done. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

So, are you still running a carb on your Cuda?

DaveBob

Reaction score
Do I see a WC poking its nose end out of the garage?
Sharp eye. However, it is a 1951 Power Wagon, aka "Flat Fender Power Wagon" (FFPW) or "One Ton Civilian."

autoxcuda

Reaction score
I'm Dave. I don't even know a Rob Troy.

For the 475/525 combo, do you have any dyno pull data? What cam specs? What heads?

I haven't really thought about what power levels yet, or done much research, because I need to finish my brake conversion, do the five speed conversion (if/when I ever get to the top of Passon's waiting list for a five speed), and get my Power Wagon running. I suppose if I found a 70 E-body missing its original 340, I would get motivated and find the time, since there would be a home for the extra motor and the need to get the original motor done. I guess it's all a matter of priorities.

So, are you still running a carb on your Cuda?

Ok. Just trying put a name with the car...

I still run a BG Silver Claw 750 double pumper carb. They are reliable. These FI setups have issues and hiccups and seam to need special tuning and programming and... I don’t put 12K miles on the car anymore so gas mileage deal doesn’t mean much to me. That’s on my 416 (340 stroker) -ported edelbrock heads, comp 274-S, M-1 single plane, 1 3/4 TTI’s

Here’s a setup IMM in Indio, CA did a 408 stroker with the comp XE295HL cam and was 480/480 HP/TQ

Small-Block Mopar Stroker Dyno Test - Car Craft Magazine

That’s with not ported RHS heads. With a just a quasi bowl cut/blend.

I’m thinking better AFR heads, 11 more cubic inches, more bore to un-shroud valves.... would put you around 500+ hp. Maybe you could run a little smaller little more streetable cam and still get 500HP.

Here’s the same short block witH 600HP with ported edelbrock heads and more cam...

How To Build A Pump-Gas 620hp Small-Block Mopar - Car Craft Magazine

Last edited:
Back