• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Robert72

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Robert. A few months ago I purchased my first Barracuda. Nice exterior and interior with only 32K on the car. /6 engine now, but also purchased a 440 to rebuild and drop in. I know I will need some help with the swap, so I am glad I found a forum with people who has done the same thing. Look forward to sharing my build.

9.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Very nice Barracuda Robert and welcome to the site from Michigan!
Show us some pictures of that famous slant six before you pull it.
We are ready to help you along with the swap. You will want to do some suspension upgrades too, like bigger torsion bars.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Robert :welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Nice starting point for your project.

Save that slant six should you want to put your car back to stock. The slant six e bodies are becoming more popular and more rare as many owners have already converted them to a V-8.
I believe you will also need a V-8 k frame for a V-8 conversion along with suspension and brake mods to handle an engine with more power.
Good luck and welcome.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome Robert!

Very curious about the details on your 70 barracuda. Being a slanty the car must be a BH or a BP coded car.
Any chance you could share the fender tag details of your car so I can decode what it was?

As mentioned above, you will need a v8 K frame and upgraded suspension for a v8.
make sure you offer up that slanty K frame as there are some people who are actually looking for slanty stuff.

Robert72

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Yes, is a BH coded car. Here is a pic of the engine and the fender tag. Unfortunately, the fender tag was painted and hard to read some codes. If you can decider, please let me know. The car was originally blue and I think had a vinyl top, so not fully original anymore.

car also has a 489 rear. Would that have been standard on a slant 6?

also, heard that Schumacher makes adapter plates so you don’t need to change the k member, but can’t see that they go from slant 6 to big block, only short block to big block. Anyone know any different?
8.jpg
Fender Tag.jpg

Robert72

Reaction score
Very nice Barracuda Robert and welcome to the site from Michigan!
Show us some pictures of that famous slant six before you pull it.
We are ready to help you along with the swap. You will want to do some suspension upgrades too, like bigger torsion bars.

Was thinking of PST 1.03 torsion bars and springs and things Hemi leaf's with 1" lift.

moparleo

Reaction score

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Robert , nice Cuda too .
You will need a whole new drivetrain + the K member which may have been mentioned above .
you rad wall will support a 22" rad which can work with a 440 but you need to modify the one side to fit a 26" rad , the sheet metal is available to make the swap .

Robert72

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Here is a pic of the engine and the fender tag. Unfortunately, the fender tag was painted and hard to read some codes. If you can decider, please let me know. The car was originally blue and I think had a vinyl top, so not fully original anymore.

car also has a 489 rear. Would that have been standard on a slant 6?

also, heard that Schumacher makes adapter plates so you don’t need to change the k member, but can’t see that they go from slant 6 to big block, only short block to big block. Anyone know any different?​
Welcome to the site Robert , nice Cuda too .
You will need a whole new drivetrain + the K member which may have been mentioned above .
you rad wall will support a 22" rad which can work with a 440 but you need to modify the one side to fit a 26" rad , the sheet metal is available to make the swap .

Was looking at a 4 row 22” radiator. Would that be large enough? You said 22” and 26”?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Nice looking Cuda! Great to see you upgrading from a slant six. Nothing wrong with a slant six, they just don't have that muscle car appeal! Ran a Chrysler slant six for 40 years in my hay swather and still runs and doesn't use any oil! Can't beat a Mopar! Again welcome to the forum! :)

moparleo

Reaction score
He said it takes a 22" but can be modified easily to accept a 26" radiator which would be a better choice. If you look at either side of your radiator you will notice sheet metal spacers filling the gap on the sides of your radiator.
You can never have to big of a cooling system.

Robert72

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually have a 26” radiator that I got with the motor, but didn’t think it would fit. Appreciate the input.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Nice looking cuda Robert. I look forward to watching the swap happen. As they’ve said, keep the 6 cylinder for sure. Glad you’re here!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Looking at the tag; interesting Barracuda. Early build car September 20th.? (hard to read) The HB1 code is a very light blue that you do not see too often, along with a blue interior. Car did have a vinyl roof in black. Interesting that the car was coded for an inside hood release.
Picture I think I found for the HB1 code. There appears to still be one of the assembly line inspection tags still on the car (right side top screw) under the tag.

1607523728383.png

Last edited:
Back