• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New starter won`t spin the converter

Sean Rugato

Reaction score
I just bought a new powermaster starter. It is either too close or too far from the teeth and won`t spin the flywheel. How do you tell which one the problem is? it sounds like it doesn`t mesh well with flywheel. motor does not turn just makes grinding noise. what can I do?

rogue

Reaction score
Are you sure it's even activating (not just spinning but pushing the gear out)? You can bench test it to be sure. That can also give you an idea how far the gear moves out. You can measure distances from the starter gear to the flange where it mounts to the transmission and the distance from there to the flywheel and take the difference... that should give you an idea on how far the starter gear needs to extend out to engage the flywheel. Also, when the trans was installed did you ensure a suitable air gap between the converter and the flex plate (according to hughes it's 1/8" to 3/16")?

I'm running power master starters in my two cars with no problems.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Some of the starters have 1 large mounting hole for adjustment so you can set the correct gear mesh it may need to be adjusted.

Sean Rugato

Reaction score
Are you sure it's even activating (not just spinning but pushing the gear out)? You can bench test it to be sure. That can also give you an idea how far the gear moves out. You can measure distances from the starter gear to the flange where it mounts to the transmission and the distance from there to the flywheel and take the difference... that should give you an idea on how far the starter gear needs to extend out to engage the flywheel. Also, when the trans was installed did you ensure a suitable air gap between the converter and the flex plate (according to hughes it's 1/8" to 3/16")?

I'm running power master starters in my two cars with no problems.
I understand what your saying, but I already put the starter in the car. really don`t want to do it all over again.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Is that the washer on the top bolt? I have the washer in at the moment.
Loosen the top bolt & the bottom stud nut you will find you can move the starter in & out sideways toward & away from the converter gear.

Sean Rugato

Reaction score
Well, now I know why the starter is not working. I ordered the starter from Jegs, it said the starter is for a V8 Chrysler from 67 - 84. The add never said big block or small block. I was sent a small block starter and I have a 440. So ordered a new one and I know what I will be doing next saturday!! Thanks everyone for your help!!

Back