• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to the FEBO Family + Overheating Big Block

Mickie Lulu

Reaction score
like a broken record, but do what you want as you will regardless of good advice

this is the real world of engine temps
205 is not hot, that's about normal
260 is hot
today's fuel is designed to burn at a min of 195 degrees engine operating temperature
All engines require 15 degrees of timing BTDC, about 34-36 total and 195 degree thermostat
It's 2020 not 1970

panheadchuck

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the radiator size when I replied. You probably need at least a 3 core and maybe even a 4 core.
a large two core 1" or 1-1/4" cools way better than a three or four core old school . more surface area touching the coolant . the Wizard is a nice piece i run one on a 604 hemi , with a spal brushless fan setup and run AC all summer no issues , i did however need to switch to a std volume water pump though . if the OP calls wizard they can send out a brushless fan assy and controller .

Adam

Reaction score
Hey Eric, I may have missed this in the earlier post but, is the water pump housing factory or aluminum aftermarket? The reason I ask is because I ran into an aftermarket several years ago that had a casting issue. When you looked at the openings off the motor, they look perfect and matched gaskets etc. The problem was, when you checked the openings all the way through a borescope, those passages (on one side) narrowed way too tight causing a similar problem. Got hot too fast and would only cool down somewhat at cruising speeds. Just thinking out loud.
Way cool set up man!
I agree, I bought a 440 source pump housing and the right side output was so small I could just get my fingertip into it... I opened it up with porting tools, and it’s been good to go.

Adam

Reaction score
Eric, make sure the lower radiator hose is not collapsing, there is supposed to be a spring inside it. I have seen them collapse from the suction of the high volume pump. Just look at it and see if it deforms when you start the engine.

Back